TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Seat and Harness upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat and Harness upgrade
    Posted: May/06/2016 at 9:32am
Just thought I would share what I've done to get my car upgraded for track events. I thought about this long and hard, basically I'm walking the line between 'Hot street car' and 'Race Car on the Street'.

My car handles pretty well, and I've done a couple Auto-cross days and need to add some safety, and a little lateral support with the seats is a nice to have also.:)

I built a harness bar, to properly mount the shoulder strap, and upgraded to the Corbeau seats. Interestingly Corbeau makes seat brackets for AMC's! But be aware that of the four rear mounting locations, the outer two are not in the correct place. I simply needed to slot the holes so no huge problem.

Cheers.

Edited by 343sharpstick - May/06/2016 at 7:36pm
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 9:56am
Here is the car....
My line in the sand, or cement, is that I will not put a cage in it, and need to be able to remove the harness and put the stock 3-point lap belt in it easily.

Edited by 343sharpstick - May/06/2016 at 10:23am
BADJAV390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 9:55pm
awesome! Doing the same on my car! did you bolt the bar in?  I have a roll bar hoop from rhodes race cars and i got the kit to make it into a bolt in.  Do you have any more pictures of your car with the 70 reverse c stripe? Is that a decal or painted on?

Beau
1968 AMX 390/4spd
1969 Jav 600 HP Alfano 390 Protouring
1970 Javelin SST 390/4spd
next..71 amx 401/4spd, 70 AMX 390 4spd, 69 sc/rambler, 69 AMX BBO 390 4spd
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 7:44am
what is the part # of the seats and tracks, They look like they fit the car pretty good and don't look out of place.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 9:04am
Badjav, I set this up like many of the harness bars you can buy for newer cars where it bolts to the factory seat belt locations. If I had a bare shel I would probably set up a more elegant option.

NeedafasrweAMX, If you just jump on the Corbeau website, you can find all the info you need easily.on the seat brackets, and available seat fabrics for the GTSII seats.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 1:15pm
I like it. Car looks Nice!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 8:52pm
Thanks!
Badjav390, the stripe is a decal. Huge pain putting it on, ugh.
This car had a dealer installed Donohue package added in 1970, so when I restored it, I put it back the way it was most of its life
It also had side-pipes back then too.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 11:06pm
Those seats look great! How competitive has the car been so far sharpstick?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 8:23am
When it worked, it did well. Last year I did have a host of mechanical issues with the flywheel loosing teeth, and a vibration in the transmission. Hope both of those issues are behind me now! I've only done Auto-cross so far, not been on the road course yet.

I just looked through some pictures and I can tell you It was on par with an AAR Cuda with aftermarket suspension. Faster than a few New-ish Mustangs, and 3rd/4th Gen Camaros. NOT faster than cars with aftermarket Chassis setups, but no surprise there.

From my last outing, I’ve went with a larger anti-sway bar, so that should help it corner a bit flatter, I also need to throw some additional camber on the front.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 12:59pm
That's awesome!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic