TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Screech...clunk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 7:41am
65-66 V-8s used a cable, all others a vacuum modulator.

It's starting to sound like a hard failure of something inside, maybe the sprag clutch (a one-way clutch). If everything is intact underneath I'd proceed with dropping the pan and a thorough cleaning of the valve body and pressure regulator assembly. If that doesn't do it, it's rebuild time.
Frank Swygert
monasmarlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 8:00am

Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

make sure that the transmission throttle cable is intact and adjusted right

I will take a closer look at that. 

No problems before this spring so didn't want to start adjusting something that didn't need to be adjusted and really mess things up. 

Just wondering why it would be a very intermittent problem as if something wasn't adjusted right I would think it would be most of the time. 

Looks like I will be contacting the transmission shop and see if they have even heard of a BW Flash-O-Matic.
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 7:04pm
Or the Ford FMX. The FMX (and earlier Ford autos) are license built Borg-Warners. There are some internal differences, but many parts interchange, and if they have experience with those they will be able to handle any BW model. Volvo used  Borg-Warners through the 80s, a variant of the M-35 up through around 76 or 77. The later model BWs (50 and 60 series) are a totally different design, more akin to the AW4.

I'd get a TSM if you don't have one, and send it to the shop with the trans even if you pull it yourself and they don't think they need it. I did that once, and the shop thanked me when I picked the car up. Said there were a couple things that wasn't covered well in their trade manuals and the TSM came in handy.
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 7:17pm
One more thing -- check the cable first. They can corrode inside and become difficult to move. You should be able to look at it and tell if it's going in and coming out easily by moving the throttle by hand and watching it. Make sure it doesn't buckle as the throttle is opened, but goes in smoothly without much effort.
Frank Swygert
monasmarlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 8:24pm

Was paging through my '66 TSM. The transmission throttle cable was mentioned several times but nothing on how to adjust it. I have may missed something or is there no adjust to it?
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2020 at 5:43am
The cable adjustment procedure is the same for sixes and V-8s (M-3x and M-1x). It's found in the "Tune-Up" section, page 6 of auto trans section, the very last paragraph. In 66 the recommended method is to use a pressure gauge. In previous TSMs (I checked the 65), to set the initial cable position, you make sure the carb fast idle IS NOT set and the throttle linkage is in idle position, set the cable for a "loose pin fit" (pin easily slides out of the clevis where it connects to linkage), then lengthen the cable by two turns. You can go as much as three turns longer for a bit crisper shifting, but if you go past 3.5 turns you will find the trans down-shifting too early and it will be hard to maintain speed going up hills without dropping into second gear, especially at lower speeds (under 60-65... trans won't down-shift over that speed range) with heavier loads. I'd start with no more than 2.5 turns long after a loose pin fit. Of course if you have a pressure gauge that is a better method, hence the change in the TSM cable adjustment procedure. The 65 TSM still lists pressures, the adjustment procedure is just for the initial setting -- fine tune with pressure. I always set mine as far as I could without premature kick-down, which was about 3 turns past a loose pin fit. That was with a hopped up 196 in a 63 American, you will just have to set yours and see. You won't have a problem with higher pressure except for the premature kick-down... not with pressure set by the cable.

Edited by farna - Jun/01/2020 at 5:50am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic