TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Scorpion 1054 on 291C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scorpion 1054 on 291C
    Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 6:52pm
Putting Scorpion 1054 Roller rockers on a 401 with 291c heads. Came up with a pushrod length of 8 inches. I happened to have a set of Edelbrock pushrods  #9637. Looks like these will work good.  Can anyone verify similar results?
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 10:37pm
8.0 is what we usually use for that setup. Valve stem height can affect this though. On Scorpions we have had to go to Trick Flow pushrods. We have had several failures of the hardened pushrod tips on other brands. The Scorpions have very hard pushrod seats and some popular brand pushrods seem to have quality control issues in their heat treating. If you lose adjustment after running for a few hours, check the pushrod tips for wear.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 10:04am
Lots of variables (lobe diameter, block decked, heads shaved, rockers). I think I used a 7.9" pushrod with Crane Gold rockers in my AMX.

This is a good video: Rocker Geometry

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Apr/27/2017 at 10:07am
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 2:35pm
Watched the video. You made me do math! And it works. I came up with 8.0 initially. Then I used the 90 degree method and did the math. Came up with 8.1. Did a sweep check at 8.0-8.05-8.1. The 8.1 yielded the best pattern with a 3/32 sweep and was centered on the valve tip. Pretty confident I have the geometry right now.  Going to order some Trick flow push rods.
AMC RICK 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 2:43pm
I used 8.1 push rods on my build with Scorpions but make sure you get good quality pushrods.
I had 1 set get chewed up because of the hard seat in the rockers.
I went to chrome moly and works great
1969 SC Rambler
1974 Jeep CJ5 Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 TH400
Tube Chassis Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 Powerglide
"We are not here for a long time but we are here for a good time"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic