TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Scattershield Options?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffsclassics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scattershield Options?
    Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 8:48am

I ordered a QuickTime scattershield for my '71 Javelin back in August from Summit.  It was backordered, and QuickTime has rescheduled the delivery twice, so that now they say it will ship October 19th.  I checked with Summit, Jegs, on Ebay, etc and cannot find anyone with a QuickTime in stock, or with another option.  Looks like McLeod doesn't make an AMC bellhousing, and Lakewood is no longer on the market (now part of QuickTime I think).  My motor is ready to go in, just waiting for this scattershield, and I really don't want to re-use the old bellhousing for safety reasons, and because I don't want to have to pull the motor again in a few weeks.

So is there another manufacturer of scattershield for AMC V8s with a Borg Warner T10 transmission?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff
'71 Javelin SST, driving project since 1990
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 9:33am
The new bellhousings are for t10s and any trans tfor that matter with a 6 1/2" input shaft. If you are using an amc specific t10, you will need to use your old bell or find an old lakewood for the 8" long input shaft equipped t-10. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 10:34am
QT will make an OEM T10 compatible bellhousing on special order. Here's another option: Browell Bellhousings
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 12:00pm
Wow. Lakewood made one for AMC back in 2008; I almost purchased one through Summit but didn't want to spend some 500 bucks. Not finding anything on the Summit site just now, I went straight to Lakewood and entered the info for your Jav. The result: "No products for this application." I checked all of their engine sizes one at a time and got the same result.

That sucks. Sorry.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 12:26pm
I would phone Lakewood and speak to a real person. Checking online for anything nowadays can be very unreliable.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 12:27pm
Something to keep in mind is they make an 8 inch one for jeep that has humps on each side on top that the hump of your car will have to be modified or it will rub there.Aren't the quick time ones like $650.00. Ouch. I have seen any used ones for sale for years. Hope this helps. Dog.
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
jeffsclassics View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffsclassics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

I would phone Lakewood and speak to a real person. Checking online for anything nowadays can be very unreliable.

A guy at a speed shop called both QuickTime and Lakewood to see if they had anything in stock, even something old on the shelf left over at Lakewood...no dice.

Apparently the consortium that owns Holley bought QuickTime recently, so they are in a bit of upheaval. Who knows when (if?) they will have AMC housings again.

Bummer....

Some Forum members have reached out to me, I think I'll be able to get a used one that way, but I wonder what will happen in the future if we stop being supported by some of these aftermarket companies?

Jeff
Jeff
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 12:57pm
Lakewood's website search isn't the best.

This is the one for stock T10 (RM-8069)
http://lakewoodindustries.com/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhsg-amc-to-borgwawrner-t10.html
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qti-rm-8069

This is the one for GM-style T10, Muncie, TKO, etc. (RM-8075)
http://lakewoodindustries.com/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhsg-amc-to-muncie.html
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qti-rm-8075

Lakewood discontinued the 15411 that bolts to GM style transmissions not long after they bought Quicktime and the early deep Lakewood hasn't been available for years. The Lakewood 77-410 that fits T5/SR4 also doesn't seem to be available anymore?

I custom ordered a Quicktime bell for an AMC to T56 a few years ago through Summit and only took a couple weeks to ship, but that was back before Lakewood bought them. Guess Lakewood isn't much interested in supporting AMCs?

May be best to post in the wanted section for one?

Hope this helps,RD
jeffsclassics View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffsclassics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2015 at 12:35pm
FYI to all, the Quick Time scattershield arrived last week.  Looks very nice, fits the block, haven't offered up the transmission yet because it's till in the car.

One comment...I will have to notch the lower lefthand area a bit to allow access to the drainplug on the Canton road race oil pan.  Not sure this would be an issue with the deeper pans, this one is about an 1" shallower but with kickouts on the side to allow high capacity of oil.

Thanks to those who IMed and offered to sell me a used one, AMCer's are a good bunch of folks!!

Jeff
Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic