TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SC/Rambler Headliner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SC/Rambler Headliner
    Posted: May/18/2016 at 9:30am
The headliner I got with my SC/Rambler has some surface damage.  There are some areas where the cover (skin?) is gone and the fiber is exposed.  There are other areas where it got bent and there is a crease.  Any way to work these out?  It appears to be some kind of pressed fiberboard and I have never worked with that kind of material before. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 12:15pm
APD had a new "headliner" for Americans on their website. I don't know if they were selling just a "skin" or if it was a one pieces install. I haven't heard much about it.

You would think someone would repop these as they work for several years of Americans.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 12:37pm
I have yet to work on my 71 headliner. Yes the fiber material does seam to crease and fray easily after so many years.

My thoughts in repairing the sections to be firm and form fitting, by gluing stiff screen material in sections working from the flatest ereas 1st, to allow rigity. Once done and cured, I would then work on the curved ereas. I was thinking if possible tack thin felt matrial strips to the interior roof. To pad and install as a backing for the headliner shell while fixing the edges and curves. Thinking as to install while the glue or resin sets for the final curved sections. This way you can make form fit adjustents, by using some cut 1x1 dowls and rubber feet to prevent sagging as to keep the best shape and contour. Once the fixes have set, removal and finishing work to add headliner material to the shell.

Since I am not restoring my car, I plan on using stretchy fabric to tack over the completed shell.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by SCRAGTOP SCRAGTOP wrote:

APD had a new "headliner" for Americans on their website. I don't know if they were selling just a "skin" or if it was a one pieces install. I haven't heard much about it.

You would think someone would repop these as they work for several years of Americans.

The repro American headliner that the vendors sell is ABS plastic, paint to match. It is a reasonable reproduction, but certainly not concours correct. I bought one from Kennedy American at the 2014 Kenosha show (just to save shipping), but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 4:27pm
Before reproductions were available I put one together from 4 pieces and several patches from a spare post car headliner. I removed the foam and then put the headliner face down with blocks under it to simulate its curvature in the car. I used fiberglass resin and cloth to assemble the pieces, checking below to make sure the grid lines matched. Then I flipped it over and patched the seams with caulk, using my finger to tool it and simulate the original pattern. It took a couple of cans of spray paint to get it to stop soaking up the paint and actually look good. Then I glued pieces of thin carpet padding on the back to replace the foam I removed, taking care to leave it out where the roof support bows are.
It has been in the car since 2002 and it still looks good. Hardly anyone looks up anyway. It took some time, but the results were good and it cost less than $10 to fix it.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 5:51am
I think I am going to wait for a show to see just what the repop looks like and go from there.  From 6768rogues comments, the original can be repaired.  My only fear is that the original when new wasn't that great.  A repop may be more durable.  I just don't know at this point.  Thanks to everyone who replied. 
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
jsprengeler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsprengeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 9:33am
I bought the repop product from Kennedy at the Kenosha show also. I had a local upholstery shop put it in my 69 American.. They had quite a struggle putting it in, and getting it to stick to the insulation. I wasn't overly impressed with the end result.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 10:14am
Originally posted by jsprengeler jsprengeler wrote:

I bought the repop product from Kennedy at the Kenosha show also. I had a local upholstery shop put it in my 69 American.. They had quite a struggle putting it in, and getting it to stick to the insulation. I wasn't overly impressed with the end result.

Plastic can be difficult to conform to a flush fit.

If it is ABS, you may have to firstly install unfinished, with help. Heat it and carefully form it to evenly fit. Once the small adjustments are made then attatch a thin wool backing using 3M adheasive and allow it to dry. Then reinstall once more for fit. Making sure the thin wool backing has not made fitment difficult when finalizing the install.

Once you have made sure the fit is proper, you can then cover with material or prep for painting.

To install spray the interior roof with 3M adhesive and the backside thin wool liner as well. Being careful to not touch the sprayed areas you should be able to install once you are inside the car, with help.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 10:50am
I received a repop headliner when I bought my SC. It looks nice but I have been reluctant to install. The plastic repop headliners for the AMX seemed like more trouble than they are worth. Some day I may be ambitious enough to install.

Roger, if you are in the neighborhood during Rockford or Kenosha next year you can see mine.

1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by bcsideshow bcsideshow wrote:

...Roger, if you are in the neighborhood during Rockford or Kenosha next year you can see mine.

Unless I'm dead I'll be at Kenosha next year. Thanks for the invitation. I'd like touching base with another forum member. Maybe I'd even be far enough with the SC/ that I could ask some semi-intelligent questions!
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic