TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SC/Rambler build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 8:53am
Looking forward to this one! You can create a flickr account and upload photos there and then paste them here, a little work around on the 30 post rule :)
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 3:10pm
Cool...nice project...yes more pictures...
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
401ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 8:04pm
I'll try to start posting pics for a specific part of the project.
Not necessarily exactly in order, but somewhere near how its coming along.

I needed to have my rear wheels purchased with tires to narrow the rear end.
Looking at choices, American Racing had some nice modern Magnum 500's in 15" & 17" sizes I decided to go with.

I bought the 15's for the fronts instead of 17's because the larger 17's I bought would have a nice stagger and sidewall comparatively to the front 15's.

I ended up getting P275/55R-17 for the rear and 205/65-R15 for the front.
Front's are mini van size and spec'd as being the same height as the 205/70-14 I had on it previously.
The rears are spec'd as being 29" tall and about 11" wide.

I used to have 305/60-15" McCreary racing tires on it.
They were about 29" tall.  Height fit in the wheel well area because I had enlarged those before the tires.  They did hit the mini tubs because they were too short from the race car days.
The width was too wide too and I use a hammer to shrink the frame rails some, but they still rubbed a bit.
The decision to go with the 29" tall tires again would necessitate fixing the mini tubs and straightening the frame rails for room, but not changing the wheel opening.

It's kinda tough to drop a load on new wheels and start sanding on them....

It took most of a day to sand all 4.

I spent the next day taping all 4.
I asked about powder coating, but they wanted more than the wheels cost, so decided on painting them instead.

It was Nason single stage paint with hardener.

Big and little

Mocked up for rear axle housing measuring

Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 8:17pm
More pics asap this looks cool!!
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 11:59pm
I actually haven't been a huge fan of these wheels. But I have to say those look really good like that!
You are definitely on a good track with this car!!!
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 7:29am
Very cool project! Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
401ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 4:57pm
Next up is a few pics of the frame rails, gas tank and new trunk floor.

I mentioned before that I decided to straighten the frame rails to make room for the bigger tires.
Earlier in life, I fully planned on Pro-Streeting it with 31-33" tires that were 17-21" wide and a rear frame kit or build my own.
My Rat Rod has Hoosier 33x21.50-15" Pro-Street tire now.  I really like the looks, but after running on Hot Rod Power Tour for a few years, I feel it would be better to have smaller tires that can be balanced and ride better.  Glad to have the giant tires out of my system on this build.

The plan on the frame rails was to just come straight back off the original frame past where the tires could hit.  A template was made out of 4 pieces, held in place by clecos and plug welded back together for each side

Then we just welded up transitions to the back frame section.
401ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 5:23pm
You can see that the trunk floor was pretty ugly.  Not really rusted, but many holes and a big old gas filler hole that needed repaired.  We decided to go with a new trunk floor as Chris had a bead roller ready to make some beads.  

Along with the trunk floor, I needed to decide on the fuel tank.
I did have the one I removed, but it must have been an Mustang one that was actually cut in half and gaswelded back together.  Only held about 10 gallons and was ugly.
I also had a Rogue tank as a back up, but it was rusty inside and I didn't think really salvageable.

I decided on a 22 gallon Mustang tank from Tanks Inc. and their fuel injection pump.
The 22 gallon is deeper so we decided to raise the floor 2" because I didn't want the tank to be hanging too low for the world to see.
It seemed like it still had plenty of trunk room for a suit case etc.

Side view of 22 gal. tank

Rear view

Used 1" square tubing for mount, straight across at the rear and a couple angled kickups on the front section with threaded weld-in nuts to attach to.

Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 5:27pm
Looking good.

Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
401ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 5:33pm

Start of the new trunk floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic