TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sandblast Radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sandblast Radiator
    Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 1:07pm
Question, can a Blackstone radiator be sandblasted? I suspect that media blasting would be preferable on the brass tanks but can the cooling fins be blasted too? Trying to figure out how to strip off some paint..

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 1:29pm
Well I'd brush on paint stripper and scrape it way, and use a soft tooth brush to clean the fins. Keeps the brass and fins clean.

The exterior won't rust, so I barely hit the fins just to give them the black look, so heat can radiate easier. Some will baste the fins and give them a coating or two.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 2:22pm
Heck no,   I've seen the tiny little fins tore up by high pressure air alone.  With sand you might end up with just cooling tubes, no fins.

Media blast on the top tanks, be conservative with the air pressure,  but i'd still be real careful around the cooling fins.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 2:42pm
Agreed, do not attempt to sand blast cooling fins.  They will bend and warp.  Maybe use aircraft stripper with a paint brush.  Then gently dab the paint brush through the fins (gently).  Rinse off really well and try in again.  You might get most of the paint off that way, but it is labor intensive.  Did I say to do it gently!!!!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 4:18pm
Thanks guys you confirmed my fears. Was hoping to drop it off at a local
Blasting shop and pick it up ready to paint.... Guess I'll have to invest some time
and elbow grease into this thing myself..😟
Bought some stripper this afternoon... I hate the mess stripping makes
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 5:17pm
I hear you. Just took 4 layers of paint off my old hood. Not fun. But just get some of that thin plastic rolled sheeting and put it underneath. Makes it a lot cleaner and for some reason the stripper doesn't eat through the plastic sheeting. When you are done just roll it up, tie it off and chuck it. It will take a few applications but will save your radiator from sand blasting mangling! Nothing us easy on these old car jobs 😣 oh, and wear rubber gloves. That stripper can do a number on your skin if not protected and washed out immediately if you get some on your skin.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Apr/24/2017 at 5:20pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 5:44pm
I would get it tanked. That will remove the paint and all the crud inside as well
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 6:35pm
X2 with 401harry. Take it to a radiator shop and have them 'tank it'. I really suggest that you let them check the radiator up to the point of them painting anything. Take it home and paint it correctly.
Mike
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 8:08pm
X3 hot tank
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 12:45am
Caustic acid is what the shops use to dip the radiator into (at least before EPA regs may have changed). Watch for interior rust if not reinstalled and used again soon. Paint at home and use phosphate free antifreeze.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic