TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rust inside of hatchback?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust inside of hatchback?
    Posted: Jun/06/2017 at 12:51am
I have noticed that whenever I open up the hatchback of my hornet, I can hear what I assume are rust flakes moving around. There's no clear exterior rust anywhere, so i'm guessing that moisture got inside and started to rust from the inside out. Assuming I could get most of it out through the latch hole with a decent amount of effort, is there any recommended way to slow down the rusting process without major surgery? 
1972 Javelin
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2017 at 1:57am
Eastwood sells a rust conveter with a long flexible spray hose. I used it on my Spirit hatch. You may need to drill small holes and plug them
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2017 at 8:31am
The moisture got there because your window seal has failed. You should have a glass person re-seal that window, or very soon you will have rust holes in the hatch.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 11:00pm
Sorry for the late reply, but I took a look at the rear window and noticed silicone all around the bottom trim, so definitely a bad window seal. I'll take it in to be re-sealed and see what I can do about the existing rust. Thanks for the advice! 
1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 7:42pm
Ended up getting the rear window resealed a few days ago, and when it came out I was surprised to see that there was no rust to be found. Good news, but then I guess water was coming in from somewhere else. 
1972 Javelin
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 8:08pm
Check the factory seam seal in the hatch trough especially at the top... I have seen a bunch over the years where the assembly line worker missed a couple spots and water gets in around the hatch frame. Actually worse than a hatch seal cause you cant repair easily and I have had to get rid of at least one nice Spirit because of bad factory seam sealer application that rotted out hatch hinges and front door hinges when the water got in from the drip rail and worked down into the frames. Pull a piece of the upper inside hatch trim as thats the most likely area and check
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 9:40pm
[QUOTE=phast1] Ended up getting the rear window resealed a few days ago, and when it came out I was surprised to see that there was no rust to be found. Good news, but then I guess water was coming in from somewhere else.  [/QUOT

Not sure where you expected to find rust, but the window seal is still the most likely source of the leak. What I would do would be to use a skinny wand or tube to spray some rust converter in the 'weep' holes in the bottom of the hatch and anywhere else you can get some inside access....maybe remove the 'pin' near the latch, or the lock cylinder and spray away.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by 401harry 401harry wrote:

Check the factory seam seal in the hatch trough especially at the top... I have seen a bunch over the years where the assembly line worker missed a couple spots and water gets in around the hatch frame. Actually worse than a hatch seal cause you cant repair easily and I have had to get rid of at least one nice Spirit because of bad factory seam sealer application that rotted out hatch hinges and front door hinges when the water got in from the drip rail and worked down into the frames. Pull a piece of the upper inside hatch trim as thats the most likely area and check

I took a look behind the inside hatch trim and the area around both hatch hinges looks pretty good besides some light surface rust. Sorry for the bad pictures, had to get in close to avoid the sun. 

1972 Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic