TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Running Propane - Help with Timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Propane - Help with Timing
    Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 3:44am
Hi all,
A bit of background:

I'm running a 360 in my 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It's just had a full rebuild after cam bearing failure and other issues. It has been bored 0.030" over and everything is stock except a Melling MTA-1 "RV-style" cam. 

I'm running the original Motorcraft 2150 carb with an unknown propane mixer bolted on top.
The distributor is the original Ford Motorcraft one, currently set to 10 degrees base timing. 

Now that it's back and running, I'm concerned that in might be pinging whilst running on propane. 
It runs and idles great, and 99% of the time it's fine. 
Occasionally it will make a rattling noise when it hits a certain engine speed whilst accelerating reasonably hard up a hill in 1st gear. The noise continues until I back off or it shifts into 2nd. 

It doesn't do this if revved when parked, and it doesn't do it in any other driving conditions. 

I guess I have two questions:
-Is the noise I'm hearing likely to be pinging?
-What should I be setting my timing to to run on propane?

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 7:24am
Likely going to have to find the mixer information.
 The forklifts that we had were a simple 14 degrees initial, 14 degrees mechanical and 14 degrees vacuum. All in at 2500 or 2600 RPM.
But these were fork lifts, low revving engines, and I don't remember any more the mixer they used.
There were screws on the mixer for setting the vacuum to propane air fuel flow.
Vacuum advance was closer to what you would call ported on a carburetor.
Everything was set using a vacuum gauge.
Don't know if this would help you or not?   
Brynjaminjones View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:09am
Thank you Trader, that sounds similar to the kind of information I've been reading. 
A fairly high initial, with a lower total (mechanical) and coming in earlier than on gas. 

I'll be working on it towards the end of the week and will report back for reference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic