TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rubbers for vent windows Rogue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubbers for vent windows Rogue
    Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 11:35am
Folks:

The vent window rubber molding for my Rogue are dried and cracked. Does anyone know where replacements can be found.

Thanks

67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 11:47am
Kennedy's has them... listed under "Door & Hardware"... for $225.00 (at that price I can only hope that's for the pair).
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 11:50am
Rod, purchased the vent window seals from Kennedy American although I believe APD has them also.  I understand that only one company makes them.  They leave a little to be desired but it is better than nothing.  My biggest issue was the length of the upright piece on the drivers side.  The seal is made in two pieces and bonded together.  The drivers side was almost 1/2" longer that the original and I had to cut it and rebond it with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.  The right side was fine.  Also they should go all the way to the rear of the window and they are about 1/4" short but its not noticeable.  Like I said, not the nicest reproduction job but better than old cracked ones.
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 6:59pm
I used the same parts, which I also believe are the only ones available. They fit ok, not great, but ok. There is still some wind noise but they look a lot better than the cracked and broken ones I took out. Too bad something better is not available. They did not want to stay in the track, so I used some aircraft adhesive that is used to glue rubber boots to propellers. I doubt that they will fall off.

Edited by 6768rogues - Dec/19/2011 at 7:00pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Rogue Rod View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2011 at 1:09pm
Thanks folks for the comments. It helps me out a lot.
thmil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 2:48pm
Reviving the post!
In March of 2013 I purchased a set of window vent seals for my 67 American Convertible. Yes, $225 for the pair. And what a pair they are! Just now getting around to putting these on (January 2018) as the resto is on the way to finishing. WHAT!? I didn't look at them carefully when I first got them. They are lumpy and poorly formed and don't seem to fit. I don't really feel like cutting them, but as I'm starting to realize... apart from making my own... there is nothing better to do but to use these reproductions.

Who else has information on these parts and their installation?
Post some pictures please.
Does anyone have factory parts that are still good?
Do you have some originals that are in good shape still and on the car?

On the side of making my own. There are companies that can make them. You just need to supply them with a pattern. OK... so... the pattern can be done in CAD! Now how to get an accurate pattern? I started to research "how to soften old rubber" and found that you can soak hard rubber in a 3:1 solution of 95% isopropyl alcohol: methyl salicylate to do the trick. I am going to try this. I still have one door vent seal that is till pretty much in tact (hard though). I hope after soaking them in this solution it will come off easy. Then I hope to measure and make a pattern to send to a rubber part manufacturer for a price quote. 
thmil
1967 American Rogue Convertible
thmil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 10:44pm
Help again! I still have not been able to make these work. Anyone else out there with new advice? not that I'm saying the previous advise was no good, but.. I need all the help I can get. I already screwed up one side when the thing fell apart. Lousy quality.
thmil
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 12:06pm
Are these the same seals that Kevin has been making in his SC thread?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
thmil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 2:08pm
I would like to know who Kevin is and see his site. Please post.
thmil
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by thmil thmil wrote:

I would like to know who Kevin is and see his site. Please post.

Go to the Member's Project section and look for "69 SC Journey".
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic