TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Royaly messed up door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royaly messed up door
    Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 1:17pm
I feel nothing but shame. Today I backed up my "63 classic wagon, door was open, and caught on a tree forcing it forward and messing it up.
RamblinMan63 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 1:18pm
A man I know says it can be took out with a winch. I don't know, I'm quite upset
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 1:50pm
I've fixed a door like that by taking it off first, then putting a pinch clamp at each end of the door, at the maximum depth of the buckle. Then put at porta-power between the two clamps and jacking them apart to pull that buckle out.

It's probably bent the hinges too, and/or deformed the A-post mounting area.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 2:31pm
That's the equivalent of a NFL post cruciate ligament tear, when you must see a surgeon. This is not a job for the novice. To restore it back to original will require special tools, and if you are a novice a body/frame man walking you through it. If you are in the SF Bay Area, I can recommend an excellent body shop. Won't be cheap, unless you just want them to get the door to close. I feel your pain.    
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 2:45pm
X2.    I feel you being upset. 
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 2:56pm
I'm located in Trinidad California. The same man I'm buying this from has a sixty four classic. Hoping to use that as a replacement
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan63 RamblinMan63 wrote:

I'm located in Trinidad California. The same man I'm buying this from has a sixty four classic. Hoping to use that as a replacement

The '63 and '64 doors interchange.  You're probably going to have to find new stainless trim for the door however. 
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 3:36pm
The trim is indeed bent to heck. Probably pull a bunch more off it anyways. Sigh, what a way to start the day
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 4:08pm
I know where Trinidad is. It is a good 350 miles north. Camped out at Patrick's Point off the 101. Land of raccoons and skunks. Not much of a car town. Good luck.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 6:46pm
I have been there and I did a similar act but the obstacle I hit was the gate post at the end of my driveway.  If you remove that fender and learn a little about metal dinging and learn to use a hammer and dolly and slapper file, you can make the fender dent go away.  Don't bother trying to straigthen the door hinges.  They are commonly available and they are too stiff to straighten without a whole lot of trial and error fitting and removal.  The door might be able to be dinged out but there is more to straighten on a door considering the fact that the door shell is probably messed up too.  Just replace the door. I have some here on the central coast.  Maybe the seller can help you more easily though.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic