TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rough cost of rebuild??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough cost of rebuild??
    Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 10:29am
What do you think I'm looking at to have a 72 auto trans rebuilt. Currently only goes into reverse when revved height, catches hard and jerks. Forward seems to lag when driving, has to catch up with itself when moving and you press the gas. Also, what newer trans will fit if any? Not sure how comparable jeep stuff is?? Thanks.
Gremmy Power!!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 2:25pm
72 should be a TF 727. Local shops can rebuild it, and many parts are available. It's still a three speed, but it's a relatively modern trans. 
Frank Swygert
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 2:46pm
I work in Denver and stuff is relatively expensive but you can get one done for around 1000$ if you look. Call some tranny shops and ask, the cost can vary if you pull it or want then to pull it. It is a easy trans to build.

This is a thread I did on rebuilding one. you should be able to do one for under 300$ in parts
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

72 should be a TF 727. Local shops can rebuild it, and many parts are available. It's still a three speed, but it's a relatively modern trans. 

6 cylinder is 904.   727 was 360/401..
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 3:47pm
If you R&R, around $500-$600.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

If you R&R, around $500-$600.

not where I am.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 6:53pm
I just paid $500 to have my 727 rebuilt. I dropped it off at the shop clean.
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 8:41am
Costs vary widely by location, mainly due to local labor costs. Parts are about the same -- the only variation there should be shipping, but a local supplier may be more due again to local labor and other overhead costs.

Remember, the only difference in the A-727 (what AMC labled it) and a standard Chrysler product 727 is the main case due to the AMC bell housing bolt pattern. So all parts interchange and anyone familiar with Chrysler trannys can build one. It's still a popular racing trans, and OD versions are still used in trucks (or were until recently), so any shop should be able to build one.

Call around for prices. If it's a working trans just showing some signs of age (like slipping) it shouldn't be costly to rebuild, but some things you just don't know until it's been opened up. The drum the band closes on could be worn down to much, for example.
Frank Swygert
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 11:50am
I have a straight 6 auto trans. So is it an A-727?
Gremmy Power!!!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Kensey Kensey wrote:

I have a straight 6 auto trans. So is it an A-727?
904.   Make sure you get a rebuilt converter, or have yours rebuilt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic