TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rotella diesel oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rotella diesel oil
    Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 8:39am
What experience has everyone had with Rotella diesel oil in a high mileage gasoline engine? Which Rotella oil?
Dan
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 9:02am
I use Rotella-T 15w40 in all my race engines. Good luck with this and always ZDDP with that also.
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 9:51am
We farm and ranch, so we buy 15-40 Rotella by the barrel. We use it in all trucks and tractors. Everything from Toyota Tacoma, 76 J20, 360 ci, 88 J20 360 ci, two Dodge Ram, and all the diesel equipment. I am not a certified mechanic but we have not had oil related problems using this oil.
Brad 
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 10:10am
I have used the Chevron equivalent diesel oil, sold @ Costco, with no issues.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 10:39am
Rotella T 15-40 . Only thing my old cars have had for years. haven't lost a cam yet .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 1:29pm
Oh and my 66 Classic 232.
Brad
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 2:53pm
for those of you that don't know Rotella 15-40 no longer has all the Zinc it use to have...
so now a days, i even add a bottle of GM's EOS   break in  (zinc)

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 3:04pm
I just buy the best oil with the best wear test characteristics and don't bother with added stuff, it's not necessary and in fact with some oils, it takes you backwards, reducing the oil's effectiveness.
I've not followed the "high zinc is required" bandwagon.

I put Mobile 1 syn oil in my last engine rebuild, have a Xtreme 4x4 cam in it and have over 20K miles on it. Lobes are perfect, rings are doing fine, good compression, burns NO oil between changes, etc. Plugs run clean and free of any deposits, they look like new after over 20K miles.

The Javelin is also running a Comp Xtreme Energy cam and the lobes look like brand new (I had the intake off messing with it and got curious to see how I was in just using a top quality oil with good wear specs with no additives added to the oil by me.)

Science before myth - this guy spells out what I've quietly believed and lived by these last years:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

But because many of the big players in the engine area believe the zinc stuff and have huge followings where I have no following at all, you can't win any arguments.
Logic grants you only so much information to use as ammo and once you've stated it you are out of ammo, those who follow the myth have an endless supply of ammo.
So you can't win going against the myth or the big names in engine building.
Science, engineering, doesn't matter as I've found out over the years.  Often I just let myths live on as it's tiring getting all beat up trying to dispel them - but I feel a bit crazy today..........

Oh, and since it works for the others who live by the "zinc is the only thing saving your cam" myth, I'll say it, too -  "I've never lost a cam".
I just break them all in like I have every engine I have ever put together in 40-some years.
The Eagle grew up with a good synthetic and will use that oil until I die or it does, and it's likely to win this one. Those xtreme cams have radical ramps on them and can be a bit hard on things - they are noisy due to the ramp speeds and I'd expect if something was going to fail due to lack of zinc, I should have lost 2 cams by now but one has 6K on it, the other over 20K.

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 4:21pm
Thanks billd - I took the time to read the whole site and learned a few things. Very informative and interesting.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 5:51pm
I believe some of what was said . I've also seen cam's wiped in 200 hrs without a break in additive . Read my post on thermostat's . I can quote and post the most recent evidence there is . some will give ton's of reasons why I'm wrong .
but until big cam companies will insure that my Cam and lifters are covered if not using zinc additive ????
"Oil Companies are in business to make money. That’s it. So, they put a product on the market that they feel there is a demand for, and will make them money. As a result, they will say “ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING”, to move that product, which will help their bottom line."
 this I believe above all that he posted . 
 I also read the original post months ago . this is a slimmed down version and missing alot of fails .
Read Chevy blog's .

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
http://bestmotoroil.weebly.com/
http://www.allpar.com/old/oils.php

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jul/15/2015 at 6:31pm
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic