TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Road Race AMC HORNET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 9:17pm
Received my copy in todays mail, great article!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 11:14pm
From what I know about copyright law, I wouldn't scan anything and post it. The US and Canada work pretty well together about that sort of thing.

If you approach the magazine, maybe they would allow it to be used here. They possibly would see it as a way to promote the magazine. It's hard to say. It is my favorite car magazine and has been for a long time.

I'm hoping Hal might shot some photos of the Hornet up on a rack someday in the future. His AMX has a Panhard too.

I don't know if Larry Mitchell is still involved in the AMX club he operated in Arvada, CO. Someone here may know more.

Steeno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 5:34am
That's probably the way to go , re copy right. I'll contact Hemmings and see what they say. It's a great magazine, I wouldn't want to put them, or the AMC Forum in any kind of sticky situation.

Charles, have you seen (or maybe you are involved in) Control Freak's work on AMC suspension? I'm looking at their front coil-over conversion for my Hornet hatchback (401/4sp). It keeps the same suspension geometry but includes upper and lower control arms in lighter tubular steel etc. Provides for more castor...about three degrees they tell me. It looks like a great set up. They also have a full on conversion that replaces the entire AMC front suspension -- which has been much discussed in this forum to very positive reviews by those who have gone that way.    

I know you mentioned with the research and work you did on the hornet that the factory set up worked well for you (with much tweaking on you part, I realize). Any further thoughts you could share would be appreciated

Thanks.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 11:44am

Steeno,

That's a nice looking suspension. It seems like AMC interest is actually on the rise.  There was a long drought after AMC left the IMSA RS series. Out here in So. Cal I felt like the Lone Ranger out on the track. All my pals ran Fords.

Basically I came from the “Flat Earth era” compared to what we know now.

It would be a good idea to weight the car (and the f/r weight bias) before and after putting all those parts on. Or, at least weigh all the parts separately on a bathroom scale. Maybe post your results for the next guy to use.

Replacing the cross-member with a tubular one could really free up some space.

Are you going to go with rack & pinion steering? I prefer manual steering but that may be out of the question using a rack.

I think I got 5 or 6 degrees of castor out of my front end. I can’t remember if I had to do anything special to get that. I do remember that the strut-rod length had something that needed to be done. Do they have a replacement strut rod or is the stock one OK?

I ran as little toe-in as I could. If everything is not new and stiff, the car can go into toe-out, when you get on the brakes real hard at high speed, if you don’t keep a little toe-in to start with. Then the car will be unstable and dart around. So all that fancy Control Freak stuff looks like a way to have a solid setup.

Are you going to change the rear to a link suspension? I couldn’t do that in STA and keep to the rulebook.

Chas.

Steeno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 1:50pm
Thanks for all that.

My budget doesn't allow for the full front suspension conversion Control Freak has available. And I do appreciate that they have provided for AMCers in their work and products (I'm keen to show support by purchasing what I can). I was going to go for the lesser (about half the cost) of the coil-over conversion, which uses stock location for everything, and does not change the steering to rack and pinion -- all steering components remain stock....and the strut rods remain. The full monty they offer eliminates the need for strut rods, so yes, frees up a lot of space, I would imagine. But I have to stick with these components with the coil-over conversion they offer.

That's amazing that you could get six degrees of castor without binding.

I will be glad to weigh the car at each wheel, as well as the parts that come off compared to the parts that go back on, etc and record it here. I won't be doing this work until the spring and warmer weather, however (no heat in the garage...and it gets very cold up here).

As for power vs manual steering, the car will be mainly used for street, with a little autocross, drift...and a bit of drag. The car came with power steering and I was hoping to add a hydroboost system to the master cylinder to improve the braking which requires power steering pump to operate.

Regarding the rear suspension, I thought I would stick with the stock set-up, (again, costs being the main driver) add a sway bar, cal trac traction bars, and fab up a panhard bar.   

The car is meant to be equal parts fun, and getting experience and knowledge about car building -- engine, suspension and brakes -- so I don't mind experimenting, fabricating what I need -- AMC owners are, it seems, all about this by necessity...As it has been said here before, there are plenty of speedy well handling new cars out there, but where's the fun in that?  

Thanks again, Charles.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 2:07pm
Well I can say that 6 degrees on a street car with the factory parts might have some issues going over speedbumps and driveways from roads with a severe crown. That's stuff a track car won't have to contend with.

I could be off a degree or so since I used all home made tools to measure everything. Caster was the hardest to DIY. But I can say that it was a lot better than someone in a tire shop -LOL. After making changes I would drive it up and down the block and jump on the brakes a few times and then measure it all over again.

I decided to do it myself once some clown put over a half inch of toe-in on my car. Shocked You could see it just sitting on the driveway. I asked for 1/8-inch.

AMC had lower control arms with some added gussets welded in. I think for Police Matadors. That's a good trick to copy too. That's the weak spot. It used to be that you could study junker AMCs at Pick-a-Part and see what was worn or bent for better insight. All that dried up years ago.

WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 5:21pm
Nice work, thanks for the in-car video.  It's always the best view!

Is the car still being run on the road course?
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 12:27pm
Hal Lynch has owned the car for a few years now.
I hope he will run it someday -- maybe in a vintage event or something similar.

That's me (photo below) back in the day...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic