TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Road draft tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road draft tube
    Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 4:21pm
When I bought my car, the tube consists of a 90º bended soft rubber hose.
Naturally, when I removed the leaky covers to clean and re-gasket them, the hose fell out and now won't re-seat.
I'm thinking this was a home remedy for a lost factory tube.  Could I be right?
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 4:23pm
what model, engine, and year of car
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 4:25pm
Sorry - It's a '59 195.6
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 1:07am
Yeah that's someone's farmer fix. The original tube was metal and the end was cut at an angle to create a draft at the end of the tube while the vehicle is moving forward to suck the vapors out of the crankcase.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 9:12am
Put a Wanted Ad in for a side cover with road draft tube. OR better yet, ask for a '63-65 cover that will have a fitting for a PCV hose, then run it back into the intake (there should be a plug below the carb) to burn up the fumes and reduce pollution (and odor).
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2018 at 7:32am
Better yet, look at this thread and await Tom's reply to my post.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/my-1956-ohv-stateoftune_topic93308.html
You might not run your 195.6 as hard as I used to or Tom does (and runs it a bit harder than I did, I think!), but it seems to always use oil at higher rpm. Tom may have fixed that...
Frank Swygert
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 10:46am
Great ideas, Guys.  Many thanks!
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Put a Wanted Ad in for a side cover with road draft tube. OR better yet, ask for a '63-65 cover that will have a fitting for a PCV hose, then run it back into the intake (there should be a plug below the carb) to burn up the fumes and reduce pollution (and odor).

If you do that, be sure to use a correct PCV valve in the line.  If the PCV valve will be mounted horizontally be sure to use a correct valve with a weak spring inside and keep the valve clean.  You can search on Ebay for a 1962 Rambler Classic PCV valve (for example) and find a correct valve.  Other years also mounted the valve horizontally so you are limited to 1962.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 7:43am
These two pictures should show you how the PVC system connects to a 196 OHV.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 6:14pm
Wow!  That engine is a work of art!
I don't find any port on the little Holley carb, but do see what looks to be a 1/2" plug in the intake manifold I could use on my '59s six.  (I would also have to plumb around a partial flow filter setup)  RocklandRambler, did you use the 'correct' PCV for your engine or something else. 
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic