TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ring gear bolts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

Not much of a fan of chasing a bolt thread same size and different pitch as you will be weaken the clamping force significantly.  Looking, ARP sells M12-1.50 bolts in a variety of lengths.
This is 0.040" larger then your current bolt but in the end you get a new bolt, fresh threaded hole and a lot more strength then original.
This would likely fit better and easier to do then going up to 1/2-20.
I have looked for a M11-1.0 (7/16-25) that is so close to the 7/16-24 that I would do that but can only find taps and dies, no bolts???
Sorry, I may have not been clear. We are not chasing with a different pitch. The bolts holes are 7/16-24 and we are chasing with 7/16-24 tap to clean them up. I just can't find the 7/16-24 bolts. I would hate to change from the original size as it might drive someone else crazy on down the road.

RMS was no joy and their referral to Randy's Worldwide was a bust too. The ring gear is so hard I doubt you could up-size the holes unless you had some very professional high end taps. I guess from here on out we will reuse the old bolts but for right now I have one ring gear with no matching bolts.

Edited by pit crew - Dec/12/2017 at 11:21am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Here's a photo of two AMC 20 ring gear bolts. The bolt on the left is aftermarket that fits the Yukon ring gear I have. The bolt on the right is original AMC. I think I've got two sets of these.

-Steve-
Thanks Steve. Unless your sure the pitch is 24 and not 20 I would hate to take them from you and find out we can't use them.

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:18am

Not much of a fan of chasing a bolt thread same size and different pitch as you will be weaken the clamping force significantly.  Looking, ARP sells M12-1.50 bolts in a variety of lengths.
This is 0.040" larger then your current bolt but in the end you get a new bolt, fresh threaded hole and a lot more strength then original.
This would likely fit better and easier to do then going up to 1/2-20.
I have looked for a M11-1.0 (7/16-25) that is so close to the 7/16-24 that I would do that but can only find taps and dies, no bolts???

How would you propose tapping a hardened ring gear???   The head height can also be critical too, depending on how the carrier is shimmed as it may strike the case.  The bolt to the right in the post above yours is the correct bolt with 24 pitch is the only option.  I re-use the bolts on the ring gear, nothing wrong with that.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Here's a photo of two AMC 20 ring gear bolts. The bolt on the left is aftermarket that fits the Yukon ring gear I have. The bolt on the right is original AMC. I think I've got two sets of these.

-Steve-
Thanks Steve. Unless your sure the pitch is 24 and not 20 I would hate to take them from you and find out we can't use them.

I set my dial caliper to 0.500" and counted 12 threads on the original AMC bolt.

-Steve-

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 12:01pm
If you just need a bolt and the used ones are good then this should not be a problem. You can drill and tap the flange area as it is usually softer then the hardened gear faces.
A possible source for new: http://g2axle.com/pages/view/ring_pinion
They list the AMC 20 with 7/16-24 in the specs, and they sell an installation kit that includes bolts. I'd phone and make sure first.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 12:22pm

If you just need a bolt and the used ones are good then this should not be a problem. You can drill and tap the flange area as it is usually softer then the hardened gear faces.
A possible source for new: http://g2axle.com/pages/view/ring_pinion
They list the AMC 20 with 7/16-24 in the specs, and they sell an installation kit that includes bolts. I'd phone and make sure first.
We just returned a set from G2. It turns out in spite of what they say they are shipping the 7/16-20. I need a complete set of 12 as we have a ring gear with no bolts. Talked with Galvin's and they were aware of the size difference but they did not have any of the 24s in stock.

Side note: I just check the G2 web site and the kit they list with the 7/16-24 bolts is the exact same kit we had to return because the bolts were really 7/16-20. SIGH. it should not be this tough. AMC used G9.050-2 PN# 448-5991 7/16-24x1 and PN# 320-9607 7/16-24x13/16 for several years in a row. You would think the vendors would be more aware of this.

Edited by pit crew - Dec/12/2017 at 12:40pm

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 1:37pm
Better get some from Steve.
The Vendors can only supply what is being made. One would have to order a custom run of a 1000 or more bolts and be able to make money.
How long did it take to get aftermarket heads? Wasn't until there was enough demand at the price point.
In a pinch you could get a long 7/16" bolt, cut and thread, they have 7/16-24 dies still. Best done on a lathe though, rough cut the thread and finish with the die for a good finish on a grade 8 bolt. 
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 2:36pm

Better get some from Steve.
Yeah, I am going to score those just to get this ring gear back in to service but I am going to keep looking for bolts so if this issue ever rears it's ugly head again we will have some in reserve.

goops View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 6:32pm
You can try a Cat dealer they have bolts in all sizes and hardness .they can usually get whatever head design you need.
   Goops
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:12pm
I'd give this guy a shout.  You never know.

http://www.doctordiff.com/
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic