TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rim Blow Contact

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rim Blow Contact
    Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 4:32pm
Putting a rim blow back on my 70 AMX, I have no contact parts. What parts are used and if there is an alternative for original parts. Any help would be great, Scramboy.
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 4:29am
I have the same problem on my Machine. Some quick research showed the contacts are the same as Mustang and Cougar. If that's the case they are available from Mustangs Unlimited for about 100 bucks. I haven't confirmed that yet. For now my wheel has a wrap on it because the outer rim is pretty beat up. But I've seen parts available on eBay and from some of the vendors for AMC.
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 12:01pm
Rim blow buddy makes the contact, apparently the mustang is a little different but will work. He's online.
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 12:55pm
Well I am going to give you my two cents worth on this subject matter. Woodgrainwheels.com, Dave Tays has done 2 of my 70 wheels and they came out fantastic. The rim blow switch had been a problem for awhile, Talking with Dave he never really had a good switch to go by, so since I Had a NOS one I sent it to him while he was doing the first wheel, he has duplicated it to a tee sort to speak. It is has a smooth finish like the Mopars, original had a little rib on them but that material is long gone. The second wheel has that repop switch on it and you can't tell the difference. Anyway a perfect match in my book with the right ends. My brother bought a Rim blow buddies switch back in the day and it didn't fit right or even work well. They told him to remove the switch and install tooth picks and reinstall. what kind of deal is that.
Anyway I hope that helps or got you more confused. LOL LOL
His number is 1-812-593-4328
Also, he is a very nice guy.
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 6:54am
Hey thanks for the info! I'd like to try to get mine working. The only question I have Is if there is a separate piece of trim that goes over the contact or if its partvofcthe contact.
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 7:51am
Not quite sure of your question, contact strips encased in rubber.  
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 11:36am
So the rubber is what is visible on the rim?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 12:24pm
Yes, the rubber sticks out on the inside rim.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 3:41pm
OK wasn't sure, that's pretty beat up on my wheel. I'm more familiar with the Mustang / Cougar wheels, I've seen some other makes with a chrome like pad that presses in over the contact.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic