TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 12:53pm
The upright, spindle, and knuckle are all forged steel, probably a 1040 variant. I would change the damaged one out- I realize you're in AU but that isn't an expensive used part and it'd suck if it failed. It's certainly been weakened as you changed the temper on it with heating it and cooling with air/water.

Beautiful car and nice work. How many of the RHD AMXs are known to still exist?
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

The upright, spindle, and knuckle are all forged steel, probably a 1040 variant. I would change the damaged one out- I realize you're in AU but that isn't an expensive used part and it'd suck if it failed. It's certainly been weakened as you changed the temper on it with heating it and cooling with air/water.

Beautiful car and nice work. How many of the RHD AMXs are known to still exist?

Thankyou for the info on the knuckle. Have not found a replacement in Australia so straightened and probably not so sound has to do for now. Watching the internet in USA hoping to pick one up.

Roll call for the 24 Aussie assembled RHD AMX's is pretty good and interesting.
Far as I know.
1   in USA
2   in New Zealand
1   parted out
1   missing
19 accounted for ( some not surfaced for a while )
    Of these 19 I know of at least 6 get out on the road or turn up at a car show sometime.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 4:40pm
Pistons out and measured the bore. Average 4.081" 2 5/16" down.
At the top 4.083 in a few places.
Found 1 broken piston ring. Another piston was missing one of the thin oil rings.

Rod side clearance OK.

Conrod and crankshaft bearing clearance OK with plastigage.

Very lucky to have a NOS head on hand to see what valve seats should look like.

AMX#14 head, have to make it look like NOS seats in the pic above.

Bought a valve refacer and borrowed a valve seating tool.
Determined to do as much as I can myself on this project.
Enjoying the challenge and if its a fail got only myself to blame.
Dressing a grinding stone.

Cutting a narrowing angle.

Lappping. Note the two stands holding the head. Friend lent them to me.
Great idea. Got to make some for next time.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 8:06am
Been a long time since I have seen a hand lapping valve tool. Your project amazes me with each post !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Been a long time since I have seen a hand lapping valve tool. Your project amazes me with each post !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Bit sad in a way. I did go and ask a professional early on.
    He had never heard of an AMC engine. Told me he needed to do this and that, would cost so much. He measured a valve stem told me it had a terrible amount of wear, should measure 3/8'. I said I think TSM says valve stems are less than 3/8" new. He also told me I didn't want high compression, 98 octane was no good, and that all old heads were pretty rough from factory. At about this point I remembered the shiny flat faced NOS AMC head I had at home and the extra effort AMC put into their engines, decided for sure to find the equipment and have a go myself.
Could sink, but gotta be optimistic try and swim.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 8:53pm
imho Nowadays the only way to get what you want if you know what you're doing is to do it yourself.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

imho Nowadays the only way to get what you want if you know what you're doing is to do it yourself.

Agreed.
Sometimes not sure if I know what I am doing.
This is the worst of three out of four outside corners that have hairline cracks on the heads. Have been told the engine was good and saw no evidence of evaporated coolant. I'll find out if I eventually get it going I guess.

Rotating engine parts away for a few days getting balanced.
Meantime did some cleaning.

Got a thing about vehicles looking tidy underneath.
Couldn't leave it how it was,-

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2019 at 1:51pm
   Remember back on page three I said the flex plate balance weight scraped on the bell housing to engine plate.
Glad I took the rotating assembly to a pro for balancing.
About 130 grams in that weight out of balance. The weight didn't need to be there and got cut off. For final balance one small hole added to the flex plate. Small extra hole in a crank balance weight and another hole in the harmonic balancer drilled a fraction deeper.

Machine used for our external engine balance. ( I had never seen all this before. Asked lots of questions and learnt a lot.)

Bobweights. Mystery to me till I saw them. Got it now.

Cost including fitting new pistons and pins to my old rods was AU$1055. (Roughly US$738)
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 5:02pm
Someone in the past stopped this spring keeper rattling. I like it.
Can stay like this for now. Will see how the car sits reassembled. Suspect will need to reset or add another leaf down the track.

Not sure if this is textbook but worked for me.

After removing the centre and the rubber I drove an old screwdriver right down between the eye and outer bush.

Got to be 50 year old oil.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 9:22pm
My 1969 AMX was a 343 4V Automatic and the original Borg Warner Flexplate did NOT have a weight on it.  Do you think maybe your Flexplate had been replaced due to a bad ring gear and someone used the wrong flexplate?  I'm pretty sure the AMC 390 Borg Warner Automatic Flexplate is the one that has the rectangular weight on it.
It appears the red oxide on the pumpkin held up well for 50 years, is it Twin-Grip ?
An old nail in the leaf spring was thinking out side of the box and most likely stopped the rattle.
There are date codes stamped on the Main Leaf near one end.
Is there a place in Australia that can re-arch and re-temper your Leaf Springs ? 
Thanks for your work taking and posting pictures and progress, I for one enjoy checking it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic