TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 4:57am
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

The guy who owned the red RHD in the states was John something and he lived in So. Cal in the late 80's.  He was down on his luck and was in the process of a divorce and was selling off some parts which I purchased from him.  His wife ended up with the car in the settlement.  Have no idea where it ended up.  I heard John died at some point. 

If you dig around on the net a bit you might find a US car magazine.
" Popular Cars " volume 7, Number 6, June 1986.
Has about three pages including pics on Aussie AMX#18 in the States.

I can give you a bit of interesting trivia about the car.
Imagine in Australia you got 24 AMX bodies in front of you and then 24 engines and you are asked to assemble 24 cars. If it was me I might just hook in and start putting them together. When you finish someone notices the engines are numbered.
Most of the 24 do not have the right numbered engine. Our number 14 has number 9 engine. Our number 24 has number 21 engine.
The info I have on hand says number 24's engine is in that number 18 AMX that went over to the States. I don't think I will ever get to reunite the two.

Pics from that magazine.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 3:02pm
Started in on reassembly.

Dressed up the back probably too early but I just like seeing it when I walk in the door.

Where I am at now. Ran new brake lines. Suspect I have to take the brake booster off again to get the wiring harness through the firewall.
Planning on putting the engine in from underneath.

Used layers of brown paper and glue to fix the original broken headliner. Used 3m spray glue to attatch new vinyl. Sure is sticky. First attempt was a creased up failure. Second try was OK.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
70javrag View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70javrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 11:03am
Very nice work. Look forward to keeping up with the rest of the build.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 70javrag 70javrag wrote:

Very nice work. Look forward to keeping up with the rest of the build.

Thankyou. 
 Started on the wiring harness. Got this problem to sort out. Harness was still attatched to the dash so I guess this was done to drag it through the firewall from the engine bay.

Other thing I am scratching my head about is our Aussie AMX's have two big sections of harness doubled over to shorten them ( Cos everything is on RHS compared to yours ) Would tidy up the engine bay, make the harness less bulky and lessen electrical resistance if I removed the doubled up sections. But TSM shows a pink resistance wire between the yellow coil wire and the instrument cluster connector.
 Says do not splice or cut. Doing more research.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 9:56pm
I think the cut bulkhead plate is par for the course on Aussie cars, then they just doubled over the wiring to get rid of the extra length. I would shorten the harness to make it look better unless you want to keep it 100% original. So long as you don’t shorten the original pink resistor wire, you can cut the yellow wire down and re-attach the pink. The rally dash wiring is also a bit of a mess since it is an add-on to accommodate the tacho and oil pressure gauge, so the yellow wire goes from the ignition out to the inner fender then back to the tacho and back out to the engine again. You can make all of this a lot neater and eliminate a lot of unnecessary wires if that takes your fancy.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I think the cut bulkhead plate is par for the course on Aussie cars, then they just doubled over the wiring to get rid of the extra length. I would shorten the harness to make it look better unless you want to keep it 100% original. So long as you don’t shorten the original pink resistor wire, you can cut the yellow wire down and re-attach the pink. The rally dash wiring is also a bit of a mess since it is an add-on to accommodate the tacho and oil pressure gauge, so the yellow wire goes from the ignition out to the inner fender then back to the tacho and back out to the engine again. You can make all of this a lot neater and eliminate a lot of unnecessary wires if that takes your fancy.

Ended up welding the firewall plate. Forgot to take a pic until after I had the harness back in.
Did not shorten the harness, figured Aussie AMX#24 has been running fine with the full version for 49 years.

Am an amateur learning as I go along. Enjoying the experience.
 I must of lifted the trunk lid on AMX#24  50 times trying to work out how the light turned on and off.
 Noticed a bare wire near the trunk light on AMX#14's harness. Found the mercury switch when I pulled the light apart to fix the wire. Still got a smile on my face thinking about it. 

Got a smile out of this as well.
Harness went to the right.
Indicators had to be swapped over. Australian Motor Industries practical solution.
 Awesome to think someone in Australia put these on 49 years ago.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 3:22pm
    Made a template to transfer to plywood for a new dash face.
Can anyone tell me where the support bracket on the bench in front goes.  Guessing it must go from the middle back to the firewall. Can't see in our other AMX cos the aircon blocks that area from view.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 5:20am
Had a break and caught up with Aussie AMX#16 a few days ago,

Back on the job, cut a new dash face out. Got all the wires hooked up.

No E Brake light switch to be found, made this up.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Twisted70amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Twisted70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 11:31am
It looks like you do really nice work and you're making great progress, keep it up! 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Twisted70amx Twisted70amx wrote:

It looks like you do really nice work and you're making great progress, keep it up! 

Thankyou for the encouragement.

Gave the interior a rest for a while waiting for next trip to the city to get floor covering.
Took a look at the engine. Engine on the left belongs to this AMX.

Got it on a stand to check it out. Found some new looking gaskets and freeze plugs, Valve covers and sump have been primered. Looks like a fresh ring gear has been welded on flex plate. Flex wheel balance weights scrape on the bell housing to engine plate. Anyone know what "CN" and the dot in white might mean ?

Sent the waterpump away for an overhaul.
Found a broken off bolt where power steering pump mounts. Came out OK.
 Always good to have a win starting out.

Didn't want to wait three weeks for more parts from USA.
 Todays effort to get the hood stainless trim on.  Will separate them tomorrow and see if they work.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic