TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 7:57am
While you have it down to this level I would suggest you get a sealer of some type with a spray wand to get the inside of the "frame" rails and rockers coated. Not sure what you have available there but here several companies, like Eastwood, make a combo rust converter sealer in a spray can with a flexible spray wand and a 360 spray head.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:31pm
As an "in-process" bare metal removable protectant, is the product "Fluid Film" available in Austrailia ?
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:35pm
Western Red, Hi Darren, good to hear from you.

Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

While you have it down to this level I would suggest you get a sealer of some type with a spray wand to get the inside of the "frame" rails and rockers coated. Not sure what you have available there but here several companies, like Eastwood, make a combo rust converter sealer in a spray can with a flexible spray wand and a 360 spray head.

Thanks for that link pit crew. Wish I had of known about that wand before today.
I did get a couple of different rust coverter, sealers into some places I couldn't get primer onto. One of those was a spray but with that wand would of been much better.

Far as rust goes, compared to what I have seen on this forum I got off lightly. Sandblasting found some rust I hadn't noticed but on the whole the original red primer has stood up well in places where previous owners chemical paint stripper couldn't get to it.
Cut open a rocker to fix a dent. You can see the original primer still inside. After 49 years it is pretty good.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

As an "in-process" bare metal removable protectant, is the product "Fluid Film" available in Austrailia ?

Have not heard of it, but I got alot to learn. Spent my working life in the cattle industry. Cars is only recent for me.
   I used a product called " Fertrans " and " Motospray Rust Converter Sealer"
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 5:33am
Made some screw in tabs to get the fenders on.

Added some metal to the leading edge of the door.

After 20 litres of primer and lots of sanding got to here.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 2:23pm
Aussie assembled AMX's were black underneath (lots of undercoating ) and painted black pretty much right across in front. The AMX quarter circle overlayed a piece of black vinyl. The vinyl was prone to detioriating and falling out. I went with paint there instead.

Preserved the best section of the original topcoat for colour matching.
Australian Motor Industries calls this " Safety Wattle " yellow.
It's very close to P58 Hialeah Yellow.

Went with acrylic. That AMX in the pic is #24 of the 24 Aussie AMX's.
Still has its original paint. Holding up well. Got a few crows feet and such but still very good.

#24 out in the sun.

12 coats of Acrylic later. Wet sanding to 2000grit.

Edited by Mostly last. - Nov/15/2018 at 3:02pm
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 6:13pm
For some strange reason I really like the color.  LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 8:23pm
sweet build....keep up the awesome work.   I like the fabrication on parts that you made to accomidate your build   

keep up the great work and keep us posted

Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 2:39pm
Thanks fella's.
I should of started the thread earlier on, would no doubt have been a better project with input from folks more familiar with AMC than myself. Not to worry. Just about caught you up to where I am at now.

Took Aussie AMX#14 off the rotisserie and put it back on the frame it was on when we got it. I did shorten up the frame though so I could reach over the top and the hood for polishing.

Satisfying to see it like this for the first time.
Not so long back for me, a car was just a tool used for a job if needed. Didn't see why people wasted so much on them.
I get it now. Wasting plenty of time and money myself.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 4:21pm
The guy who owned the red RHD in the states was John something and he lived in So. Cal in the late 80's.  He was down on his luck and was in the process of a divorce and was selling off some parts which I purchased from him.  His wife ended up with the car in the settlement.  Have no idea where it ended up.  I heard John died at some point. 
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic