TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RHD AMX
    Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 4:12pm
Twenty four 69 AMX's came to Australia as complete knock down kits exported from USA.
Australian Motor Industries made them right hand drive. They had to use some local content to comply with goverment regulations so there are a few differences between an Aussie AMX and the original .
Was lucky to buy two of the twenty four about 18 months back. First one I came across was a project been in pieces since the mid 90's. Had three owners in two states since it was pulled down. I am number four and shifted the body and parts 1850 mile in a container to yet another state. Course in all that time and moving plenty has been damaged or lost.
First time I saw it back of a badly lit shed.

After trip across the country South to North. Great to see it in daylight for the first time.

In the shed ready to get among it.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 7:05pm
There was a red Aussie X here in the states some time ago. As far as I know it's still here. Don't know who owns it. I was told by Larry Mitchell that they all were 343 automatic cars. Is yours ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 8:58pm
Looks like this is going to be a sweet project. Can't wait to see the progress.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 10:01pm
george w,- Correct, Red Aussie AMX#18 went back over to the States. California I think. And yes all twenty four were originally 343 3spd auto.
Still a fine automobile but I do wish we had got manual 390 with manual steering.
I have read there was a test mule sent over as well for AMI to work from to get the process for following cars up and running. Whereabouts unknown.

pit crew,- Thankyou, I've got a bit to catch you all up on. Guess I kept it to myself a bit. Worried at first I would make a mess of a piece of motoring history, but I'm going OK, thanks largely to studying this forum, so hopefully I can pay back a little by posting.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 2:47am
Some little things that gave me something to do for a while.
Has had a light impact RS front.

This took a while to fix.

Radiator baffle was under instead of over bottom front crossmember tab.

LS below "A" pillar took a hit sometime.

Original Blackstone was recored sometime with a deeper core. Side straps were reattatched with less wrap around. This was solution to make it fit.

Found a bit of filler here and there.

After sorting all that out I got to here sanding by hand.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 9:46am
Looks like you have your hands full,
thanks for posting up for everyone to see the progress Clap

Good luck.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 1:16pm
I shipped an original paint pristine yellow AMX hood about 20 years ago down under to an AMX owner who said his family had lost the original hood moving from one place to another.

Always wondered which AMX it ended up on?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 2:19pm
jpnjim, thanks.

69BBB3904spAMX, I don't know which AMX that might be.

Front left fender was replaced with a damaged 70 javelin fender at some point. Side indicator opening was changed to suit 69 but in wrong spot. Had me scratching my head how to make that recess shape.
Part of an old tower computer frame did the trick.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 4:54am
Got the body on to a rotisserie.

Made things easier. We live in the tropics, wet season was coming on. Rust forming behind me on parts I had knocked dents out of and sanded.
Had to speed things up. Got professional help to wet sandblast. The three Aussie AMX's I have seen in person all had very thick protective layer applied underneath. Took some getting off.

Gave it time to dry.
Turned it lots of times to get the garnet blasting media out.
Primered with Jotun Penngaurd Special high build marine primer.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 5:07am
Looks like you are making great progress. I'm not sure what it is about odd front fenders on the Aussie cars, seems almost par for the course, my 69 Javelin also has one recessed and one not recessed.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic