TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Reveal molding?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reveal molding?
    Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 2:01pm
OK, guys. Time to pick brains. Many 60s Ramblers had either standard or reveal windshield molding. It's my understanding that reveal molding is the type that goes over the seal, and clips in. Standard molding pushes into the seal. Am I right so far? Anyway, My '66 Classic Cross Country wagon has (had) the clip-in type molding around the windshield. I have both the standard seal and molding, but I noticed the body has been shaped differently than I've seen, with sharper outer edges are squarer corners. So far, I've had NO LUCK finding the right seal. What say all of you?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 2:57pm
It has been a while since I checked the 66 Parts book but I think it refers to the Type 1 and Type 2 moldings (trim in the channel (Type 1) and clip on molding (type 2)).   The Type 2 replaced the Type 1 during the model year.  I don't recall any notes about the windshield channel being shaped differently and I wonder why a small budget company like AMC would even consider such a thing.  The only change would be to add the studs for the molding clips on the Type 2.  I will check the parts book again, especially if you don't get any other good input about this.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 3:14pm
Ok I just checked the parts book.  There is not reference to the windshield opening changing for 1966.  There might have been a later change which was not made to my book, but that part (the cowl panel, which includes the windshield opening) did not change in my copy of the book.  The change in the gasket from Type 1 to Type 2 is noted though.  Joe
tubular_joe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 3:39pm
Thanks for replying. OK, I was wrong about the shape of the opening. The car had clips screwed in, but I'm having trouble identifying and finding the right replacement clips. Most of them are too rusted to use. I could use the type 1 seal, but it has a lip that goes over the edge, and it is a very tight fit at the bottom. It pushes against the fenders.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 5:25pm
The AMC vendors have the correct clips I think.  I also think they are 60s-era Ford clips.  If you want to get them locally and have have a paint/body supplier in your area, take one of the clips in the match it to what they have.  Good luck.  Joe
tubular_joe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 6:10pm
What about the type 2 seal? I can't find one through the AMC group.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic