TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rev happy 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFannin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rev happy 232
    Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 2:40pm
I have a 73' 232 inline 6. I would like to put the crank and connecting rods from a 199 into it. I want a smaller stroke for more revs without issues. i know people have done this. but what do i need to know when doing this? also would 4.0L pistons work with this project? any information would be appreciated.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 4:27pm
Putting a 199 crank in will make it a 199. The 4.0 rods are the same length as the 199s and they are stronger. All 199 cranks have a flat flange. 4.0 pistons will only fit if you bore it .125 over size. I just remembered that A 73 232 already has the 6.125 rods in it. You'll also need pistons that are .250 taller. I M H O leave it as is.

Edited by amc67rogue - Oct/25/2017 at 4:34pm
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
AFannin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFannin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 4:31pm
Thank you!

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 1:28am
shortening the stroke wont by itself make/allow the engine to rev faster, you'd need a very wild cam and matching induction system and all the attendant machine work to do anything useful with the shorter stroke. and you'd have fewer cubic inches, and C. I. is always the cheapest/best way to increase power. stick a 258 in it and you'll get a large power increase with no other effort.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 2:32am
And for more REV´s you´ll need to upgrade your vavle system, stronger pushrods with way stronger springs/Doublesprings. 
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 7:14am
Or turbo charge it to make up for the lost displacement.

Revving is over rated though! You rev up to get more HP, but if you're making good torque at lower rpm you can just run more gear to spin the tires faster. Lower rpm means longer engine life -- higher rpm shorter. For street performance I always build for a broad, low to mid rpm torque band (1800-2500 is pretty much ideal). That's where most driving is done, with occasional bursts up to 3000-3500 or so. Power after 4000 rpm is generally a waste unless you're building a drag engine.

This works well for rally and road race cars. For those you just want more gears so you can keep the engine in the torque band -- five speed is essential, a six speed would be fantastic (but expensive... if rules even allow since AMC never factory installed)!! Use the trans to make the wheel rpm go up, let the engine muscle (torque) it's way through.
Frank Swygert
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 10:32am
The valve train is more likely the limiting factor in getting an AMC I6 to rev quicker. Otherwise the 232 is already an over square engine (bore larger than stroke), which is what one would want in a high revving engine. The later Jeep 4.0 has an even bigger bore with a slightly shorter stroke.
AFannin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFannin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 11:14am
I've already taken care of valve terrain, I have a Brian Crower stage 4 hydraulic lifter cam, Brian Crower dual spring valve springs with titanium retainers. Aluminum Brian Crower rocker arms and strengthend pushrods. I plan to get a port and polished head in the future. I know I could swap the head off a 4.0l but I'm not going to. And I'm making my own intake to accept 3 two barrel Weber 45 DOCE carburetors.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 5:32pm
That's going to be a pretty major change for a 199. I also use Crower parts but I have a slightly modified 4.0 valve train on a stroker. Are you attempting to make the legendary 199 beast?
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
AFannin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFannin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 6:06pm
Not as of right now. Maybe later down the road
What power are you pushing with your setup?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic