TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

resistor for points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: resistor for points
    Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 6:31pm
is my 64  wagon supposed to have a resistor wire or ballast resistor between the ignition switch and the coil?....on most cars with points they used something to drop the voltage to 9 volts...gm cars used a resistor wire....did rambler use a resistor wire or a ballast resistor?..if so where us it located?
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 1:25am
I can't say for certain about 1964, but 1965 six cylinder engines did not use a ballast (ceramic resistor or resistor wire). They also did not use a ballast bypass on the starter relay. The ignition coil is fed full battery voltage through the ignition switch in both the start and run positions of the switch.

However, they use a different ignition coil with a higher internal resistance of ~3 ohms because it is designed to operate on a nominal 12 volts as opposed to the more standard ~1.5 ohm coil designed for the nominal 6 volts provided by a ballast. 

So odds are, your car uses a 3 ohm coil with no ballast. Using a standard 1.5 ohm coil will significantly reduce point and coil life. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 6:05am
I'm sure we went through this a couple of years ago. The ballast resistor is only for v8 models. It is mentioned in the tsm but not clearly stated in the wiring diagram.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 12:46pm
I think you will find that the coil gets a full 14+ volts as what comes from the alternator. When the engine in my 64 was installed from another car its coil didn't last very long. A Petronix ignition and coil solved the problem.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 1:05pm
Yep coil resistance specs are in the service manual  3.2 - 4.1 ohms for both the L-head and the OHV engines.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 9:33pm
coil and resistor (aka ballast, aka ballast resistor) are a matched pair. the use of series resistors came with higher engine RPMs that necessitated faster coil charge times. but then at low speeds the higher-power coils tend to overheat, and so the series resistor limits the maximum coil current.

4 ohm coils at 12V means 3 amps (I = E / R) (i=current, e=voltage). with ignition on and points closed, 3 amps flows, the coil gets warm. 

a 1.5 ohm coil will have a ballast resistor of 1 to a couple ohms, for a total resistance of 2.5 to 4 ohms, current will be limited accordingly. but a 1.5 ohm coil without a resistor will draw 12 / 1.5 = 8 amps, and get hot and eat the points.

more current means hotter spark, faster coil charge time, but badly stresses points and demands fatter wire and good connectors etc.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2017 at 12:51am
Solves that. Your car is designed for a 3 ohm (roughly) coil without a ballast or bypass. The coil receives full battery voltage all the time. 

A 1.5 ohm coil at 6 volts has the same spark energy as a 3 ohm coil at 12 volts, so why do sixes use the 3 ohm coil and V8s use the 1.5 ohm coil if they both run the same?

...because V8s are harder for the starter to crank over. This causes the battery voltage to drop, sometimes as low as 9 volts. A 3 ohm, 12 volt coil operating on 9 volts doesn't have much spark energy, however the 1.5 ohm, 12 volt coil operating on 9 volts has a lot of spark energy. All you have to do is bypass the ballast while the starter is operating to supply that 9 volts to the coil. This temporary overload is not enough to harm anything. 

Fun fact: the 1.5 ohm, 6 volt coil used on V8s is the same coil used on just about all American cars 1940-1975, even cars with 6 volt electrical systems. 6 volt cars just use the 1.5 ohm coil without a ballast, and of course with no ballast there is no bypass. A 1940 Plymouth uses the same coil as a 1974 Buick. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2017 at 7:17am
You can use the 1.5ohm coil, but will need to add a ballast resistor if you do. Best to use the 3-4 ohm coil though. 
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 12:28pm
Petronix coils are only .6 ohms and work well with their ignition module.

Before I got the Petronix I remember reading 4 ohms on the coil that was on the 196. Swapped it though over 30 years ago from a 58 Case tractor I was getting going at the time. In the end both seemed happy with the trade so I suspect they were the same.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 1:15pm
Be very careful as a ballast resistor is NOT the same as a metal film or carbon resistor and you can't accurately measure the voltage - as that varies with the load of the coil. So saying you get full voltage doesn't mean there is no resistor or resistance wire, depending on your means and device to measure. Best to have it running and measure the DROP across the resistance and figure it out.
And resistance wires differ from ballast resistors. 
This is a topic that is covered on thousands of pages out there, not just here, because it's a universal question - to use a resistor or not to use a resistor with any given coil.
And it doesn't matter the car IF the coil has been changed - and not matched to the original. I've seen coils replaced and resistors removed - then the next sucker, uh, owner comes along and puts in a new stock coil and keeps burning things up - gee, what's wrong, it's the correct coil......... well the dope before you put the wrong coil in, had problems, and removed the bloody resistor. 
If the coil has been swapped, go by the coil.
If it's stock and correct for the car then go by what that car should have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic