TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Reproduction 1969 AMX Bumpers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdemartino01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reproduction 1969 AMX Bumpers
    Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 8:02am
Has anyone had experience with the quality and fit of the aftermarket front 68/69 AMX bumpers sold by American Part Depot, Galvin's and Kennedy. My bumper is good but not great but I don't want to take a step backwards
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 9:05am
Everything I've seen and heard about them is that they are great. Wondering if they're still in stock or not? Some of them were sold out a few months ago.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 12:06pm
I purchased a front bumper from Galvin's in person. The bumper came in a box with AMD's name and MOPAR'S logo. The quality of the chrome on mine is 99.9 % flawless. Extremely happy. I have not mounted it because the car will be repainted first.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
mdemartino01 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdemartino01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 1:08pm
Thanks very much.  The input is really appreciated
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 5:24pm
AMD is a company that makes a lot of mopar reproduction parts and has a good name in the restoration community. I dont see that the chrome is show quality but is as good as a stock bumper. From what I have seen at shows. I bought one of of the non chromed 70 front bumpers that were made. Its not mounted yet but looks to be a very nice piece. 
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2019 at 10:11am
I agree with the previous fellow - I send mine to Brainerd, MN - if you put one redone by them next to the reproductions, you will see a difference. I am in no way knocking the reproductions as they are nice and have their place. I just am of the opinion the rechrome bumpers are better metal and higher degree of finish.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2019 at 12:18pm
I haven't seen one of the reproductions in person but the plating quality is probably what a new OE AMC bumper looked like. I've had NOS AMC bumpers and the plating quality is ok, but not what you'll get in a "show quality" rechrome. AMC plating was the same quality as what is on my 2009 Tacoma that I bought new. I talked to a plater years ago and he said the bumpers they did spent 2 hours plating in a nickel tank- this is what gives the depth of shine; obviously you're not going to get this in a reproduction part or on a new vehicle unless it's something like a Rolls Royce. My truck sits outside and the bumper still looks ok, no rust, after almost 10 years
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2019 at 1:31pm
I have one of the very first of the repro rear bumpers, bought from Galvin's, on my green 68 AMX. I agree with other posters, it looks as good as the original did when new. It fit almost perfectly right out of the box, I had to shim out the pass. side with a couple of 1/8" fender washers and now the lines are spot on. This was likely due to the bumper bracket being pushed in, which was why I needed a new bumper in the first place! I will probably buy another set (front & rear) from them rather than re-plate the bumpers on my Calcutta Russet 68 AMX. The originals were replated (poorly) about 20 years ago and have some significant rust pits due to the car being stored in a shed. These would make great cores though, as the car has only 23,000 miles on it, very straight, no dings/dents.

Sorry, just re-read that your post was for front bumpers. My front bumper on the green car is from BumperBoyz, many years ago. Although some have had a poor experience with them, this front bumper looks good and fit very well, no shimming needed. As it was about the same price then as the new bumpers are now, I'll go with the new ones from Galvin's/APD.

Edited by TX390AMX - Feb/28/2019 at 1:37pm
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2019 at 3:21pm
I was surprised at how "weak" and just how easy it was to bend the
AMC made Front Bumper on my '69 AMX bought in 1985 and rechromed in 2007.
imho they are less than "significantly sturdy" front bumpers...
Their shape and contour are critical to proper Front Grille opening shape
It can pretty easily be mis-shapen by somewhat light contact.
Easily "splayed" outward, mis-aligning the ends with the fenders.
Easily "pushed up" in the center reducing the original very slight downward "curl".
Just opinions formed by looking at many period articles when they were new.

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2019 at 4:44pm
In 69 and 70 there were no bumper impact laws. Those came later.

If you think AMC bumpers wouldn't take an impact, look at the 67 to 70 Camaro bumpers, the front is about 1/4 the size of a Javelin/AMX bumper from 68 through 70.

Not only that but the 67 for sure had brackets on both ends that bolted into the fender, so even a light touch put the bumper into the fender and bent everything.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic