TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 8:59pm
Its great to see progress on this!!  I have to agree with SPIRITAMX79, I'm with whatever MI recommends but would also like them to "Mirror" the spoiler for material and thickness.
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 1:34am
Time to get serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mirror Image responded and does think the same process for the front spoiler is the correct application for the flares. It will cost me personally over $100.00 plus another $100.00 to ship the flares to Mirror Image and back just to get a hard quote. 

Who is really in? We are logistically looking at needing to sell 12!!!! sets at about $750.00 shipped for four flares.  

I will also be putting this in the for sale section to get more attention. 

Who is in????

Dave G. 
SPIRITAMX79 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPIRITAMX79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 12:45pm
Sweet! Would've replied sooner but I haven't been getting email notifications about activity on the forums for some reason. But yes, LETS GET SERIOUS!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 8:30pm
The 1980 AMX I have, the flares are flexible. So that pretty much says if body lines are not exact, that is not a problem as they are molded to the fenders using double sided tape. Now granted, the car has had one repaint. Which may be the reason why. But body conformity is not exact using 1980 manufacturing so it makes sense to me that the flares should be flexible The Eagle flares are too.
The front air dam, recently purchased due to the efforts of a forum member I am quite pleased with. It however is not flexible as far as the material goes. I do not see that as a particular problem at the moment. However, the air dam is something prone to damage and it seems to be both repairable and also capable of pretty much fitting with out much of a problem. But if those flares do not conform to the side of the car it would look pretty tacky. At least in my opinion.
While it might be nice to have a set, at the price wanted, which is not unreasonable, just expensive, something that may not fit is not terribly desirable. '
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 9:37pm
Hello John,
I'm the same guy that did the front spoiler and I appreciate the feedback. I spoke with John at Mirror Image and he will have a spirit to test fit and verify that the repro flares fit. I will also test fit them on mine as well to make sure they fit correctly. Unfortunately we are many many set of flares away from meeting the goal of 12 sets. Maybe a Kickstarter campaign can make it happen. Spread the word and let's see if there is enough interest to do this.
Dave
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 6:24am
Dave, nice to see your projects are going well. Here is a tip, if you stack the flares and wrap then in cardboard the shipping will be alot lower. UPS and Fed Ex only charge for box space. So taking the box away makes the shipping measurements smaller = lower shipping. I shipped a set last year from OH. to Or.  for $51.50. They arrived in perfect condition. Just a thought on keeping cost down, Shelby
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 7:12am
What is the possibility that the material could be changed to something more flexible? Of course that assumes it needs to be more flexible. Granted that is just an opinion on my part but at least from where I sit? A reasonable opinion.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 7:29am
I will be in. 
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2015 at 8:51pm
The other material that they have will not resist the heat. The thermoforming will not create an exact inner and outer flare. 

Thank you for the shipping idea Shelby I will try that next time.

We have about 5 sets spoken for, still need 7 more. 

Dave
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 1:12am
[QUOTE=garsod]The other material that they have will not resist the heat. The thermoforming will not create an exact inner and outer flare. We have about 5 sets spoken for, still need 7 more. QUOTE]

That makes good sense, but still it is the inner flare that needs to conform to the body curves and as that can be a variable when doing body work, it appeared to be resolved by attaching flexible flares to the body by utilizing a double sided tape.
Thus the OEM flares would then flex to conform to the existing shape of the body curves.
Granted for my example, a 1980 that had been repainted, thus the attaching method may not have been OEM, although it appeared to be, a rigid flare would leave unacceptable gaps when installed if the body curves did not conform to the configuration of the flare as produced. Whether that is a problem or not, I perceive it as one that needs to be at least evaluated as to the potential it may have.
Thus inquiring minds need a satisfied answer before a commitment would be made.
Again, I might be over thinking things though but I have had to deal with fit and finish before.
I am installing a fiberglass hood scoop at the present which is giving me minor fits in finish and that seems to be easier to fit as the scoop can be blended into the hood. The flares lie on top of the body panels.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic