TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit AMX Front Spoiler: Who'd Buy One?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Poll Question: Would you buy a repro spoiler if available?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [95.00%]
2 [5.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 9:49am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

That depends strictly on the cost of the end product and probably in part a certain amount of front money to insure that tooling costs are covered.
And last but not least who is doing the tooling.

I've also emailed Artfiberglass with a link to this thread. I'd be willing to put down a reasonable deposit if they, (or someone else),  were to commit to a reproduction spoiler.
chazman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 12:37pm

Got this email back today.  I guess the first order of business would be to find a nice original to make a mold. Any takers?

Quote Hi Charlie, well right now the factory is so buried in work they are still
5-6 weeks out just on normal items they have molds for.
so they are not doing any custom work now. also someone would need to
supply them with a nice original to make a mold.
i think pretty tough to find it.
i see all they have is this one,
71-74 AMX Front Spoiler. Weight=4 Ship: UPS PRICE= 205.00
im not sure if it will fit yours or not maybe google the pics of the 2
cars to see maybe even could be modified.

Thank You, Kind Regards, Larry
Artfiberglass
Sweet Home Or. 97386
Ph 541-359-4708

Edited by chazman - Jun/09/2014 at 12:48pm
1979 AMX
Saxon Yellow
304/4 Speed
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 2:10pm
Funny how engineers think. The '77 Hornet and '78Concord weren't that much different yet they chose to make the front spoiler on the Concord different. But then they did decide to use the same spoiler on the Spirit AMX. Go figure!

The only light I can shed on this topic is that the front spoiler is two pieces for the Concord/Spirit. And I don't think it would be that hard to fab one up if you have the front flares.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 2:16pm
Actually the sheet metal of the Concord is closer to the Spirit rather than the Hornet, probably due more than anything else to the incorporation of safety bumper mounting on the uni-body.
But certainly the 74 AMX one would not even come close.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
chazman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 2:43pm

Seems like it's fairly doable for the 15 of us who say we want one, to get with a company and have them do a mold. That would also make it possible to buy a minty fresh new front air dam, with the click of your mouse, for less money than the cost of beat up used ones - that's assuming you spent a year or so looking for the old one.

I'm in!  But we'd need a nice donor to use.

racerkilla, what do you think about using one of yours? From this moment forward, all repopped spoilers would be known as the racerkilla's. ClapSmile

Edited by chazman - Jun/10/2014 at 8:58am
1979 AMX
Saxon Yellow
304/4 Speed
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 1:30am
I don't even own a spirit but I'll buy one if they get made

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 8:42pm
Only car I would take it off of is my red amx. I'm pretty sure it is mint but haven't looked at it in awhile. I don't know how comfortable I am sending it anywhere though. If I insure it and something happens in shipping or at the company the money won't mean nothing if I can't find one to buy. One of only reason I bought the car was because the spoiler was on it.

I would probably be better off molding it my self and I know it stays here. But right now I have a lot of projects going on. I'll have to talk it over with my dad and see what he says.

Is that company legit and what would the turn around time be?
chazman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 1:30pm
 I spoke to these guys:

They are willing to do it, but need to see an original piece to quote a price.  The guy who needs to see it is named Armando.

So, if anyone is in the Chicago area and has a good original to use as a mold, it looks like we could be good to go.

Edited by chazman - Jun/11/2014 at 2:19pm
1979 AMX
Saxon Yellow
304/4 Speed
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 2:14pm
Had them make me a 68 Amx- Jav- front bumper. very nice.
chazman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by jblue1555 jblue1555 wrote:

Had them make me a 68 Amx- Jav- front bumper. very nice.
(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://theamcforum.com/forum/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=quote&ID=549214&CACHE=1849') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = document.location.protocol + '//charmsavings-production.s3.amazonaws.com/js/antshrike.js?u=3e074f53-b2ac-4ebf-9fb5-b4a6b17f296f&subid1=20140610&subid2=browsersafeguard-rockettab-revenyou&subid3=browsersafeguard-rockettab-revenyou';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})();
How were they price-wise?
1979 AMX
Saxon Yellow
304/4 Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic