TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacment for pass through.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacment for pass through.
    Posted: Nov/27/2017 at 8:23am
On the BW transmissions has anyone found a replacement solution for the pass through connector?

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 7:27am
Haven't done it on a transmission, but you can get various nylon spacers and washers at Lowe's in the specialty fastener section. To make pass throughs for the fuel pump of my gas tank I used a brass screw though a spacer with washers that the spacer would pass through on both sides, and a washer on each end that the screw passed through but would hold the spacer and washers in place. You could do the same, and put a round terminal on the wires or a screw on spade terminal on each end of the screw. I didn't use any type of sealer or gasket, but you could make washers from gasket material if needed.
Frank Swygert
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 9:57am
Good suggestion Frank. I am not sure how much room inside a BW you would have to play with though. I had hoped someone was going to say something like they had found the "19xx FMX for blah blah" has the same pass through connector and there are thousands available. Oh well.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2017 at 12:48pm
Hmm. Leak through the terminal?   How about the TH400 terminal? Would that work? I know the Ford FMX doesn't have that because the kick down is mechanical..
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 8:15am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Hmm. Leak through the terminal?   How about the TH400 terminal? Would that work? I know the Ford FMX doesn't have that because the kick down is mechanical..
There are a couple of issues that crop up with this connector. The first is the O ring breaks down and leaks. The second is the plastic that the past through is made of hardens up and most of the time breaks as you try to remove it to replace the O ring.

I am not sure what you are referring to with the TH400 as the one in my Hornet uses a vacuum modulator for kick down. Is there another version that uses an electrical kick down?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 8:33am
If that Is a th400 part, there are plenty of aftermarket replacements, both with single and dual spade connections. If that is what you need, I can post a link or two for the connector.

Th400 has vac kickdown and a transmission WOT switch. Some 73 to 76 TH400 has the same connector as the 65 to 66 Switch pitch, but one is used for TCS instead of switch pitch operation.

Edited by 304-dude - Nov/30/2017 at 8:38am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 9:02am

The Th400 is a bit bigger i think... Time for the Lathe.

you can get it here https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/G241657/

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

There are a couple of issues that crop up with this connector. The first is the O ring breaks down and leaks. The second is the plastic that the past through is made of hardens up and most of the time breaks as you try to remove it to replace the O ring.

I am not sure what you are referring to with the TH400 as the one in my Hornet uses a vacuum modulator for kick down. Is there another version that uses an electrical kick down?
The TH400 uses an electric kick down, and it also has a modulator. I think the plastic plug on the 400 is on the drivers side. I'd have to look at the one I have in my garage.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 6:57pm
how big is the hole in the case?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

how big is the hole in the case?
I'll have to measure it when I get back to the shop on Sunday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic