TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacing 360 pushrod and rocker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 11:00am
Thanks Trader, I appreciate the advice. 
The squeak/chirp noise is definitely there, it's just difficult to hear on some speakers.

To be honest, other than that this engine sounds exactly as it has done for the last 18 months/14,000 miles. It had been totally reliable until I over-revved it - it barely uses any oil, it doesn't run hot, it gets ~14mpg on the highway and the oil pressure is okay. It's probably due a rebuild at some point but for the time being I'm fairly confident that it's healthy enough.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 5:39pm
If you are sure it's the lifter, replace it.
You can easily pre pump it up in a metal
can of oil using a drill press (OFF, NO ROTATION!)
to provide the up and down motion.

Gremlin Dreams
Brynjaminjones View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 4:04am
Thanks Boris - it's actually the rocker I'm suspecting, rather than the lifter. 
I'll be investigating further soon then I'll report back!
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 8:14am
You may have other rockers with bad pushrod seats.  That failure is from wear and age or lack of lube, not a single over reving incident.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 9:25am
Good advice, thank you. I'm going to see if I can get this sorted with what I have currently, but I'm planning to replace them all early next year to avoid the same happening again!
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 11:30am
I have a mess of used STOCK 401 pedestal rockers that I will never use
if you want one I can send the rocker and mount along.

It's a free bee. They are junk to me. NO I do NOT have a full set.

Gremlin Dreams
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 9:34am
Boris, thank you for the kind offer. I'm in the UK so it will probably be easier for me to source a full set over here when the time comes, but I appreciate the offer. 

I've now finally had a chance to remove the valve cover to see what's going on. Sure enough, the replacement rocker was getting no oil and was therefore squeaking. 
The trouble is, the other rockers I removed and reinstalled are also not getting any oil. 

These are the bridged rockers, so I removed the bad one and the adjoining one, but I also removed the pair next to it just to check I was putting everything back together exactly right.

All these rockers I removed aren't getting any oil at all. The rocker arms that I didn't touch are receiving a steady trickle.

What am I doing wrong at installation?
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 3:20pm
lifters are probably bad.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynjaminjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

lifters are probably bad.

I wondered as much. How would removing and reinstalling the push rods have caused them to go bad? They were fine before this.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 4:12pm
Hydraulic lifters do not go through full internal piston travel when operating. They only "stoke" approximately 1/4 of the distance they can be pushed new. Old lifters will be loose in that travel distance but be tight lower and if old oil "varnish" has been accumulated then the clearance is gone.
If you pushed those old lifters down past their operational travel, they are likely jammed.
You can take them apart and clean them, but likely you will find they are worn on the cam face. 
You can put in new lifters as a short term fix, but if the lifters are worn badly on the cam face then the cam is worn out also.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic