TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacement Seats for AMX /Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Seats for AMX /Javelin
    Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 9:25pm
Does anyone have any experience with replacement after-market seats?  

I am working on a 68 AMX and it looks like the materials (buns, seat covers, seat backs, headrest covers, etc) will run around $1000.  

Summit racing carries Summit brand and Procar Sportsman seats for around $150-$250.  Need a slide kit and mounting bracket as well. 

I would like to use the factory mounts/slides if possible.

Any experience with these or other vendors?

Thanks
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 9:44pm
I haven't done anything like this in a javelin yet. But in my younger years my cars were, let's say, worn out. I did all kinds of crazy swaps with whatever I thought look cool or was in good shape in the junk yards. You can pretty much swap in any seats you want on the original frames. You just have to make an adaptor plate. The simplest way is just some really thick flat steel bar. Then you drill holes for your original rails. Then but and bolt the flat bar to it. Then drill holes in the flat bar where the new seats holes are. Then bolt the new seat to the flat bar. This might make the seat sit a little higher.

You can get fancier with L Chanel or boxed steel tube. These would be less likely to bend on you. Depending on the thickness of the steel involved. But that's basically what you have to do. Or at least what I've done in the past. And what I've seen others do in the past. But you might get your new seats and luck out and might have to just wabble out a few holes. Or be able to drill new holes in your old rails.

You might call summit. Or the manufacturer of the seats. They may be able to give you measurements for the bolt holes so you can do the math or make your adaptor ahead of time.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 10:34am
I have the Procar Rally seats in my 70 AMX. It's very easy to attach the seats to the OE AMX seat tracks.

At the front (left to right) angle aluminum bolts to tracks and to seat frame.

At the rear same thing. Angle aluminum goes from inside track to outside track.    

Front bracket with seat all the way back.

This is the aluminum piece at the back of the seat.

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 11:59am
https://www.braumracing.com/product/elite-x-series-racing-seats-red-stitching-version-2-leatherette-pair/

I kind of like these seats. Definitely more spendy than the Procar seats. I kinda like the shoulder harness idea.

Dennis, did the Procar seats lower your butt or raise it? I need less height and I've been searching for a way to get that for sometime.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:11pm
https://www.lseat.com/products/1970-1974-amc-javelin-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html

Real leather seat covers that fit the original AMC bucket.

With foam padding from Legendary,

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/catalog/products.html?make=AMC%20(67-74)&model=JAVELIN%20SST%20(68-74)&year=1970&nav_cat=UPHOLSTERY%20%26%20TRIM%20ACCESSORIES&class=MOLDED%20FOAM***   

Not sure but I think Legendary gets more for one seat foam kit than Lseat gets for both leather seat covers.
$299 for both drivers and pasengers seat covers
$399 for I think one bucket seat foam.....
So,
For what $1100 there's the seat foam and leather seat covers for two bucket seats !
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 4:14pm
Nice seats, Dennis!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 5:10pm
Almost ashamed to say,
but I bolted in some White GM swivel bucket seats in my Javelin 25 years+ ago LOL

Drilled out the stops so the passenger could turn completely around and face the back seat Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Nice seats, Dennis!

Thanks Cam!!

I got them a long time ago, but I see Summit still sells the Procar Rally seats for under $400.00 Ea. With Free Shipping!

Former Owner of:

Still Owner:
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Almost ashamed to say,
but I bolted in some White GM swivel bucket seats in my Javelin 25 years+ ago LOL

Drilled out the stops so the passenger could turn completely around and face the back seat Smile

Nice!!

Let me guess, they were out of a 74-76 Monte Carlo????   
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Dennis, did the Procar seats lower your butt or raise it? I need less height and I've been searching for a way to get that for sometime.

Maybe lower by just a very little bit, but they are pretty close to the OE seat height.

Dennis
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic