TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

replacement idler pulley factory air 64 classi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 11:49am
I found a flat idler and flipped the idler bracket over to see how that looked. It's a little wackey looking as it's not parallel with the belt. Probably not the best idea.

I marked the power steering pump reservoir as to where the rubbing was going on. Pulled it off then using some spacers clamped it in my shop press. I didn't want to deform the mounting surface. After getting it secured I used a 5/16 diameter punch, using the side of the punch and hitting it with a hammer was able to make a reasonably well clearanced area that works for the belt.

Got a slightly smaller belt and it all seems to look like it's going to work. Haven't run it yet but nothing is touching, so I'm going to try it without any idlers.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 8:24pm
Got it all together, works fine without any idler. I'm thinking the original York compressor caused vibration in the belt and required the idler to keep it from hitting the water pump pulley.  
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic