TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacement Coil Springs for 72 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:52pm
the springs on my 73 are so bad that even with those twist-in spacers it sat too low (well, lower than spec - some racers would love the stance)
Be careful varying from stock numbers as you may end up with springs stiff enough the car sits too high and every bump, including birdy doo-doo rattles your teeth. 
There are multiple things to watch, wire size among them. 

These are my 1970 springs, with HD suspension. It's a 390 auto with air........ and those are the original part number decals.

Be careful with RockAuto - shipping can make things pretty expensive and if the company that supplies the part says it's correct, RA won't take it back. I learned the hard way.......... if it's a RA mistake they eat it but since they don't make or supply or even stock anything and they go by what the manufacturers tell them, if the part is wrong and they check with the part supplier and the supplier says it's correct even if it's not, you eat it. 
They can be a great source, and can be a source for parts very hard to find otherwise, but I reserve them for harder to find stuff and prefer to keep local businesses in business. 
The spring cushions I used weren't half an inch thick - they came from Kennedy. They will thin down but not by a lot - the repro replacements are poly and don't compress a lot.
In my opinion (doing hundreds of front ends over the decades) don't even figure those when figuring height as they are not really a variable - you will have them regardless. But that's just my opinion. You'll have those spring cushions in place no matter what springs you use. 

I wonder-  how will compressing automotive springs overnight for a few nights make a noticeable difference in height? GOOD springs won't settle very much with time. Cheap springs, yeah. 
My Eagle hasn't settled even a quarter inch, much to my dislike. The springs were made too stiff. The car sits too high in front. I'll be removing the new springs and putting decent used springs in. 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 11:01pm

Thanks for your advice, Bill.  Was hoping to meet you in Kenosha btw, but it's hard to run into a guy when you don't know what he looks like, lol.

I was wondering about the spring seats, since it seems all the ones you can buy these days are polyurethane.  Once I get the springs out I'm going to measure them and compare them (with seats) to what's available.  Could be that just changing the seats will be all I need to raise the front end a little. 

JEGS right now seems to be cheapest on the 3156 springs. $86.00 for the pair including freight, but I can also get them locally at Auto Zone for a little more.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/06/2017 at 11:04pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 10:14am
Here's something that MAY, hopefully, MAY, help cut speculation.

1972 70 w/304 front springs - 
3197430 LAC    (LAC = less AC)
3197431 WAC   (WAC = With AC)

TRW crosses the 3197430 (LAC) to their number CS3140
TRW crosses the 3197431 (WAC) to their number CS3112

But if you look up TRW springs by application they say the CS3112 is for all V8 with or without air. Interesting.

So I looked up the TRW springs by their number to get the specs and found this - 

CS3112 -
inside diameter = 5.020"
wire diameter = .690"
height = 9.5"
load (pounds) = 1591
rate  (lbs/inch) = 306.4
approx FREE height = 14.7"

CS3140 - 
inside diameter = 5.020"
wire diameter = .660"
height = 9.5"
load (pounds) = 1490
rate  (lbs/inch) = 275.5
approx FREE height = 14.94"

the specs and cross-reference to and from the TRW springs comes from my 1993 TRW spring catalog.
(not spring as in the Sears spring catalog or the Sears fall catalog but spring as in bouncy-bouncy, Tigger's tail, etc.)

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 11:14am
Interesting.  So the TRW CS3112 looks nearly identical to the Moog 3112, except for a .32" difference in the free height.  The Moog 3112 is also the one most of the retailers call out for the 304 w/ or w/o AC. I'm still very tempted to go with the 3156 as the stock springs are very soft... just hope the 3156 isn't too stiff.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/07/2017 at 11:17am

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 12:03pm
I put 3112 on my javelin a month or so ago and am quite happy with them. I do not have AC on this car, though. I also put new rear leaf springs from McVeigh's on the rear. The car rides great and sits just right for my taste. I bought mine on amazon and got a decent deal with prime shipping. (sorry no pics taken since center caps were reinstalled!)

AMO Newsletter Editor
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 4:57pm
  Ian,  that car is beautiful!!!!! 
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 6:11pm
That car sits about right for my tastes.....good stance.
Wish my 73 looked half that nice!

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 6:14pm
Thanks guys. It definitely has it warts but I really like it! After seeing all the beautiful javelins in Gettysburg that sat a little higher than lower I came home and swapped mine out. It was pretty low before, and it seems like these cars always look more worn out than cool when that low.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 6:33pm
Mine sits so low the headers hit now and then........ there were twist-in spacers in the front springs and it relies a lot of the air shocks and some helpers I put on the rear springs. 

I bought a full set of used springs from a member to put in the car until I can afford brand new all the way around.

Ian I may trailer this car over to Indiana next year and leave it with you to restore............

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

Thanks guys. It definitely has it warts but I really like it! After seeing all the beautiful javelins in Gettysburg that sat a little higher than lower I came home and swapped mine out. It was pretty low before, and it seems like these cars always look more worn out than cool when that low.

That's a good way to describe it. Ok, that's a big help and makes me think 3112 might be the right choice. Much appreciated, Ian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic