TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

replacement bushing for Z bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacement bushing for Z bar
    Posted: Dec/14/2015 at 2:26pm
On the strut rod side of the Z bar there's a bushing that inserts into the 3/4 inch diameter hole in the strut rod bracket and the end of the (bellcrank) zbar goes inside the bushing. I just caught that mine is breaking apart so I took it all apart again.
I ordered a new bushing from AMARK, but I think it will be the same material and last about as long. Has anyone made one out of something a bit tougher than the black plastic like material of the AMARK bushing??

It's the "outer idler bushing" on the lower left side of this parts drawing.

I'm thinking of making a few out of brass or aluminum to see if they would last longer.

Thanks,

Armand

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Mar/08/2016 at 8:07am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2015 at 2:59pm
Oil-lite bronze would be better than brass. 

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2015 at 3:11pm
The parts on my 67 V-8 Rogue were the same as a Jeep CJ. I ordered the full CJ bushing kit from Crown for under $15 to my door. I can get the part number if you need it.

Like this one: Pivot Bushing

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

X2 for sure. Not sure how thick it is but Delrin might be a possibility.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2015 at 9:33pm
Sounds like a good idea keep us informed I would be interested if it proves to be a good solution.

Buster
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2015 at 10:53pm
I thought APD offered those in their catalog but I have not checked recently.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2015 at 7:45am
Mine is cracked and missing a chunk also. I'd be interested.
SC
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

The parts on my 67 V-8 Rogue were the same as a Jeep CJ. I ordered the full CJ bushing kit from Crown for under $15 to my door. I can get the part number if you need it.

Like this one: Pivot Bushing

Bob
tufcj

Great find and affordable. The two nylon bushings shown appear to be correct for the inner idler bushing but the outer idler bushing has a flange, That is the bushing I'm talking about. The inner seems to last longer, I don't know if it's the material difference or the possibility of additional stress imposed on the outer bushing.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2015 at 8:36am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I thought APD offered those in their catalog but I have not checked recently.  Joe

I looked on APD, they no longer show the outer idler bushing in their parts catalog.

I ordered a couple outer bushes from AMARK. One to install for now and one to use for a pattern to possible get a copy machined in a metal softer than steel. Still haven't decided what metal.

However I did see that APD has the clutch rod firewall boot, I couldn't get one of those when I first installed the T5 in the Jav.

I may have to fabricate the backer plate as shown in the exploded view in the beginning post. The 79 Spirit AMX I got some of the parts from didn't have that backer plate, and the boot was shot.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Dec/16/2015 at 8:40am
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2015 at 8:41am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Awesome tip pit crew, I'll look into that possibility, thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic