TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

replace ac hose but reuse metal ends ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replace ac hose but reuse metal ends ??
    Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 12:24pm
Has anyone replaced the refrigerant hoses but reused the original metal ends?

Online searches show new crimp on fittings are available, but they are shorter than original and only available as straight, 45 or 90 degree. I would like to keep the same configuration as original.

I know I can make hoses that will fit using available fittings, but that does not satisfy my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) tendency when it comes to old cars and keeping them as close to original as possible. Anyone else suffer from this same malady?

I found a site where the person posted they carefully removed the old ferrule then installed a new ferrule with a larger hole and a circlip in the groove where the old ferrule sat, then crimped it. This was posted in 2004. I am hesitant to tear apart the old hose assembly until I have a little more confidence if this works - or if it is really possible on what AMC used in 1972.

Has anyone successfully replaced the hose, reusing the old ends?

Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware
1972 Ambassador 4dr Brougham, 360/2BBL/727 purchased new
1968 AMX 390/Auto
1957 Hudson Hollywood 327/Auto
1975 Cadillac Eldorado
1992 Lumina Z34 5 speed
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 1:14pm
Yes you can... many retrofitted who make custom hoses, accept factory ends to custom make new hoses. Some replate at an extra cost.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Burnished Brown View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 5:59pm
I am in the business of making hose assemblies.  

Using the original end fittings is quite possible - 

BUT duplicating the original style crimp now becomes the issue.  The dies and equipment used today to crimp the ferrule may not duplicate the original factory style of crimp. 

The assembly may perform adequately (depending on the condition of the used hose), but again - it may not be 100% visually OEM correct.
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 6:00pm
Yes I have. Any A/C shop  that makes hoses can do that. I carefully removed the band clamp holding the ends. The new crimp clamp is slightly different than the old one but you will retain your same end with your new hoses. Use black liquid shoe polish on the hoses to cover any lettering. They will look NOS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic