TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repalcement for AC belt tensioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpepiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repalcement for AC belt tensioner
    Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 12:50pm

Is there a replacement for the OEM AC belt pulley for my 1976 Pacer with a 258? It's the pulley next to the alternator. This smooth sided pulley's bearing is shot. I cannot find a OEM replacement, nor find a alternate, newer pulley. The mounting bolt size and spacing seem unique. Thank you.

Edited by gpepiton - Mar/22/2018 at 12:59pm
GilPep
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 1:04pm
Do you have any dimensions like pulley OD and width, and the bolt Dia.
That would help!!!

Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
gpepiton View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpepiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 1:13pm
I will get back to you after I come back to the Daytona Speedway 50th year Anniversary I'm going to tomorrow with my Ride. I intend to remove it next week to measure it for your assistance and my search. Thanks MUCH!!
PS: since you are an AMC Guy, i will paste the spec sheet of my ride below for you entertainment. Feel frre to ask question of many item. I'm a retired automotive engineer and like to modify things for inprovement.
 Here you are. I have this on a sign when on display. You can Google me for the Lemons show last yea.:

This vehicle’s condition is nearly “NEW” - won "WORST OF SHOW" @ 2017 Michigan Concours d'Lemons- cited as "most over restored/re-engineered car "

Vehicle History: This 1976 vehicle is a Survivor; its original home of 18 years in Tucson, Arizona at an Army Base {was the General’s Wife’s car}, then 12 years to Concord/Central, California, then back to Tucson, AZ for another 2 years and finally ending up in Norway, Maine in 2008. I’m the third owner and had purchased it from the Maine seller who does half assed “spray can paint” restorations. Found on eBay in July 2009 {with supposedly 39K} while doing a Nationwide tour in my other vehicle, a Resto Mod 1951 Ford. Seller cheaply repaired the absolute mechanical minimum and cosmetically poorly painted everything else. My inspection revealed it was indeed a completely rust free body {the major purchasing factor- Pacers all rust buckets- that's why they are rare}. Had all Factory Options, so I decided to overpay for it and then bravely drove it home from Portland, Maine to Coral Springs, Florida in Oct. 2009. Any of the original design shortcomings or necessary modern features have been addressed and/or added. Originally, it was supposed to get the Wankel rotary engine but instead got the Jeep Six. Result; These cars were a Piece of Sh.t!!!

Vehicle Features- "As Built" data but NOT all is current configuration: Built with the DL Package, 4.2L/258 cu.in. 6 cylinder, Carter BBD 2BBL Engine, Chrysler 904 Automatic Transmission, 3.08:1 Axle Ratio, Factory A/C, Heavy Duty Suspension/Front Sway Bar, Power Brakes, Front Disk Brakes, Power Steering, Sport Steering Wheel, Roof Rack, Door Vent Windows, Tinted Windshield, Full factory Undercoating.

Mechanical Modifications: COMPLETELY Rebuilt Engine with block decked .025”, 4.0L H.O. 1993 Jeep Cylinder head {40 more HP} with final compression increased to 9.3:1 from factory 8.0:1, Raised front of body from subframe 3/8” due to taller cylinder head clearance needs, “Comp Cam” 260H with “highway power” cam profile, High volume oil pump, “HEI” {GM Style} Ignition System- delayed 6 seconds via an “ELK 960” adjustable time delay to allow oil pressure build up during high RPM/cold starts, “Motorcraft” 2150 2BBL carb jetted fatter, Carter P4070 electric fuel pump, Reworked intake manifold- lightened 4 lbs, Tubular steel 4.0L exhaust manifold- now separated from the original cast iron intake manifold {prevents fuel boil}, “Trico” 19” main cooling Electric Fan controlled via an “Murphy Switch-Gauge” {setting adjustable}, 1993 Volvo fan shroud, Trans Cooler with Fan tripped via thermal switch {195F} located under mid-body, Increased Transmission 2-3 upshift calibration timing, Drain Plug on transmission pan, Dual small fans for highway speeds and also when AC is on, timed Air Bleed via solenoid during hot restarts due to design flaw {intake manifold fuel puddle/flooding}, redesigned parking brake system and the vehicle was completely created/rewired along with many additional relays I designed in for various functions.

Safety Features Added: Protective Gas Tank Plastic Shield from Fox Body Mustang,

Daylight Running Lamps, Dual LEDs blubs inside Taillights, Hatch Mounted Third

Stoplight, Ceramic Disk Brake Pads, Gas Shocks, Delay Sweep Windshield Wiper

Function, 2" Lowered Front Suspension/lower center of gravity, Flash-to-Pass button

on Driver’s door Panel, Driver’s Door “Open” LED Warning Light, Convex

rearview mirror{s}, Engine Temp displayed within speedo head in digital voltage for

better accuracy, installed optional AMC chrome “Sport Mirrors”, Seat Belt

Retraction mechanisms from Fox Body convertible Mustang {replacing original, poor

rocker mounted belt design}, Dual Horns from 2001 Lincoln LS, ”Uniroyal” rain rated

raised letters “Tiger Paw” tires, Oversized Group 65 Sears battery, Extensive Heat

shielding on all critical components {engine mount, trans and fuel lines, under floor,

etc} and left foot operated/ electrically triggered exhaust dump/cutout for 7 HP gain

for passing power {and it sounds Cool, too...}

Creature Comforts/Appearance Features Added

Rear Hatch has insert-able mechanism to lift it which allows cabin air flow with windows down, similar to Ford's "Breezeway Window" design of the '50s-60's, Remotely XM Radio mounted on flexible wand, Stand alone CD player, 400 amp Stereo Amplifier, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Front Seat frame angle increased, Adjust-O-Tilt steering column from '80 Jeep Wagoneer with PRNDL, OEM padded Jeep steering wheel {more shallow}, Knee Pad on Driver’s door panel, Larger Dome Interior Light, Center Seat Console and Center Trans Hump Cup Holder both from ’98 Ford Ranger, Digital Clock from ’89 Crown Vic, Completely Resigned Interior Color Scheme, Cruise Control with remote hand held controller, Remote Trunk Lid Release, Light Duty Trailer Hitch, Optional AMC Bumper Guards, Additional interior Insulation, Custom Chrome License Plate Frame, Vanity License Plate {76 PACER}, Optional Pacer X Rally Aluminum “Mag” Wheels, Body repainted color Gold, Lip Bead welded across bottom of hatch lid for increasing the ease-of-grasping when closing and prevents palm dents.

General Restoration Items; Everything: All Suspension/Bushings/Ball Joints, Steering Rack Bushings, Brake System, all Wheel/Axle Bearings, Complete Transmission overhaul, new Motor/Trans Mounts, Starter Motor, larger 110 Amp Alternator, Flex Plate Flywheel, Three Core {was two core} Radiator using the original copper tanks, driveshaft universal joints,

- You Name It….

GilPep
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 2:14pm
does anybody know how to get the bearing out of the idler pulley?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

does anybody know how to get the bearing out of the idler pulley?

If you have a late 74 on up, the bearing is pressed in.

Early idler pulleys required removal of the pulley retaining nut, and the large C clip that retains the bearing and mounting bolt to the pulley.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 7:30pm
Rock Auto lists them but they are not "smooth sided":
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/american+motors,1976,pacer,4.2l+258cid+l6,1005905,belt+drive 
Either they list the wrong part or you have something unique.
gpepiton View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpepiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 11:45am
I resolved my issue of finding a replacement AC idler pulley for my 4.2L by building my own. It was not easy, but I was able to use an newer pulley, ACDELCO ABH 38043 for 2000 4.0L Jeep, via RockAuto, by cutting off the nut mounting assy {including it's cylindrical section} of my original pulley assembly, flipping it around, then shortening it by cutting off the rounded end {where the bearings ride- I had to first cut off the old pulley}, then drilling and tapping the existing 3/8" course thread to continue the existing thread. I mounted it with the 7/8" nut end reversed {mount is now backwards}, with the big nut now facing the engine mounting bracket/stud and with the new ACDELCO pulley is mounted to the cylindrical side of this modified mounting using a grade 8 bolt, 1 1/2" long. Whew. As mentioned, not easy but works great. As for the original pulley dimensions, it's 2 3/4" in diameter, has a 1" FLAT side width {NOT grooved or multi grooved}. There is 1 3/4" distance measuring from the front face of the original pulley to it's very back of it's mounting {which is part of this original idler assy- pulley not removable unless cut off, as mentioned}}. Note that the replacement ACDELCO pulley is slightly wider and deeper, but this is OK. Also, I needed to install a 1/8" washer which has the same width of the new pulley's inner bearing on the inside, between the back of the pulley and the reversed mounting. This prevents the pulley from shifting/moving back and forth once mounted. Not for the faint at heart. However, I reached out to EVERYONE, including a major seller of AMC stuff on eBay {zcodemat} and NO ONE has this pulley. One respondent in this thread cited that I may have something unique. Maybe so [early '75-76" 4.2L for Pacer AC applications? Don't know} but if your idler is shot, there is nothing you can just buy and install that I know of.. Good luck and I thank everyone you tried to assist.
GilPep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic