TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repairing the V8 Ambo propshaft.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2017 at 12:24pm
My only exposure to torque tube drivelines were in the pre-'55 Chevys.  Needless to say they expanded my vocabulary considerably.  But I digress, what would be involved to changing to an open driveline in your car?  I would think the biggest hurdle would be getting the appropriate transmission.  But once done I think it would be a tremendous advantage.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:12pm
Transmission is easy -- keep the one in it. Just have to change the yoke, the seal is the same as an open drive AMC. The trans would have that flange on the back, but not hurting a thing to leave it there. The big hurdle is that the 56-66 AMC torque tube cars have coil springs, and the tube is the main locating arm for the rear axle. So you have to add something (ladder bars, three/four link, etc.) to locate the rear axle. Or even leaf springs. The Chevys used leaf spring, and I think there was a pivot between the axle and leaf spring. Easy enough to remove the pivot and u-bolt an axle made for open drive down. In both cases the rear axle would need to be changed, as the pinion shaft isn't made to bolt a yoke to. AMC made a special adapter for 66 American V-8s for the AMC 20. Even on those the pinion shaft was drilled and tapped for a retaining bolt. Hard to drill and tap a hardened shaft!
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:55pm
In 63 that was probably one of the hottest cars on the road and it has probably done its share of quarter miling. Get it fixed properly through spare parts and it should be good to go for a long time again. There should be a number of these around that haven't been scrapped yet.  
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 2:35pm
Here's the propshaft place. They have some serious machinery, some of it goes back to WWII. Yes, that's a Milwaukee. Back then, they were a general engineering outfit.

The chap managed to separate the two halves of the shaft, said it took 30 tons.
Then he put in a new centre bearing. I'll ask him if he took a pic.
I could feel and hear that the old bearing was rough and clicking. Only 65,000 miles but any grease must be long dead.
The rubber housing of the centre bearing came off easily, it's on a crimped sleeve. Then he pushed the two halves back together.

Here's the original double cardan. See those thin yokes with the sharp inner right-angle. That's how to design something so it will crack, and they had. The bearings were rotating in the yokes. Not AMC's finest hour.

So that was cut off, and a new flange fitted, and the original sliding spline, with a new single uj. The pivot of the uj is where the centreline of the double cardan was.

There is minimal articulation in the double cardan. Perhaps 3-4 degrees. Now, I have read that ujs don't like running in the same place all the time, it wears them rapidly. I wonder if the double joint was intended to improve longevity rather than smoothness, by sharing the load.

At the gearbox end, the slider was corroded in way of the seal. I guess the car had stood, perhaps for some years and condensation fell down to that point. You can't see it in the pic, but that corrosion was only around half the circumference.

I put a Speedi-sleeve on it. Perhaps that will reduce the fluid loss, I hope so as the box pretty much empties itself in a couple of hundred miles.

Then I put it back on. Not easy. Without the prop in there, the gearbox output shaft sags and there's no tapered lead on the slider, so getting it to align with the splines and then go into the bush in the gearbox rear extension, is a real mare.

Anyway... then I took it for a run. Went past the 60mph where the noise and vibes used to start, up to 75mph which is as fast as I want to go on the old timing chain & gears. No noise, no vibes.
Hooray. Next week we have a 300 mile outing. If it's still good after that, double hooray.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 4:45am
I'm impressed. 

They made it look easy but obviously some real thinking and good machining went into that.

That vernier calliper also looks like it may go back to WWII. 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 6:06am
That center piece looks a lot like a Jag axle flange. Neat that they kept the original drive shaft end and trans yoke, just fabbed a new center section. I don't think the CV joint was for longecity -- I've pulled 100K+ u-joints out of torque tube cars that were as tight as the day they were put in at the factory. Six cylinder models, mind you, but the V-8 used a larger joint. Pre 56-62 V-8s used a single joint, even the vaunted 57 Rebel, so strength isn't an issue. Lincoln also used a similar joint (if not the same) in the early 60s, just for a few years. I wonder if it was something one of the U-joint vendors sold both companies?
Frank Swygert
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 10:30pm
What's the procedure for changing the rear seal? I'm working on a '65 that leaked some trans fluid out the rear seal when the torque tube was pulled back.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 3:44am
In my car - BW Flashomatic box - I think one would struggle to change the seal in the car as it's recessed so far into the rear extension. Unless one has an expanding seal puller.

The rear extension housing can be removed with the box in the car, so I have read, but observing scrupulous cleanliness of course.
Do you have a TSM? It's all in there.

There will inevitably be some leakage when the TT is pulled out. This is because the front slider of the propshaft forms the seal, so that does not of itself indicate a seal problem.
If the seal is leaking in service, there will be a drip from the drain immediately in front of the TT flange.

I had hoped that the Speedisleeve would cure my box leakage, but yesterday I saw a small puddle when I parked, and I can see that's it's dripping from the front of the bellhousing, so I guess the front pump seal. Oh well, I carry a gallon of ATF and a filler funnel.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 5:52am
Since the trans has to come out to replace the front seal, I think I'd wait until it was leaking a lot too.

As Ivor stated, the rear seal is recessed in the torque tube adapter and hard to get to, but comes out like any other seal. If you have a seal removal tool it will help. I've run a small screw in the metal edge of a seal and used a puller.. or pulled on screw with pliers or a claw hammer... but can't get in there with those on a TT car! If you pull the output shaft housing you should be able to knock the seal out from the back with a long steel rod.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 9:52am
There are a lot of stop leak products out there that revive hardened seals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic