TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Removing spray can paint from engine compartment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing spray can paint from engine compartment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 5:51pm
Thank you all for the replies. I tried an area with lacquer thinner and a red scotchbrite pad. The black top coat comes off very easy, the grey primer is a lot tougher. After thinking about it all day I think I would be wise to just get it media blasted. It will save time, and given it is nearing winter here it would not be good to try to clean it up in the garage. Too cold to do it outside. With all that said, what kind of media would you guys recommend? Is it possible to just take off the rattle can paint, or is it pretty much expected that it will be taken down to metal? Not expecting to be left in a usable condition if they can just take top layers off.     Thanks again.
AMO #2726
1968 AMX Rally Green 343 4spd since 1975
1968 AMX Rally Green 290 4spd since 2019
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 6:16pm
Actually,  the lacquer thinner idea will work better outside in the cold,  it certainly won't evaporate too fast to soak in.
Safer too,  just no fun at all for you.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic