TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Removing speedo & tach needles for cluster decals?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing speedo & tach needles for cluster decals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing speedo & tach needles for cluster decals?
    Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 6:55am
So, I need to put the repo instrument cluster decals on my 69 amx. Anyone got a sure way not to bust the needles off when removing them?  I think I should be able to take the tach out of the cluster and slide the needle through the hole on the face plate or unscrew the tach face plate and slide it past the needle as the cap above it is attached to the face??

Edited by jl2556 - Aug/14/2017 at 7:34am
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 7:06am
Have not done an AMX but have used a kitchen fork on other instruments in the past with good results.
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 10:36am
Tach face plate comes off easily, 2 screws and slide the metal face off. The needle will not come off, break it and your done. Speedo needle is a slide on. just pop it off. Good luck, be patience.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 7:10pm
Yes, the tach needle is part of the rotating armature. Be very careful !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic