TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Remote servo - rebuild or let well alone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remote servo - rebuild or let well alone?
    Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 4:06am
Beginning my winter's work on the Rambler, somewhat delayed by a lot of old-house stuff.

One item is the servo. My Canadian export rhd car has an indirect servo and single line brakes.

The servo works fine. But as everything else in the system has been refreshed, it seemed logical that the servo might be needy. I assumed there are hydraulic pistons in there, after all there are bleed valves on the servo itself. So I was going to take it out and send it to a company that can recondition them.

Started the job yesterday. Unsurprisingly, the brake unions don't want to undo, and despite soaking with PlusGas I can see that the brake lines are likely to twist and shear off.

So I look online to see how the servo works - never had one apart - and it appears as if all that's in there is an air valve and diaphragm. No hydraulics, no rubbers.

I never see threads on here about servos. Perhaps they just go on and on.
Should I just leave it alone?

What do you think?

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 6:12am
Google "Bendix Hydro Vac."

There are places out there that rebuild them; I'd personally prefer to have an experienced pro rebuild it, especially if I don't have a manual for servicing it.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:27am
My recommendation would be to get a complete rebuilt spare and put it on the shelf for the day you need it.  OR, get a rebuildable unit, have a firm rebuild it, and then put it on the shelf.  I attempted to rebuild one of these on an International Loadstar years ago and the lack of parts and instructions pretty much put that plan in the dumpster.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 7:36am
This might help:

There is a hydraulic servo in there! The standard brake master cylinder goes to the remote power brake unit and pushes a slave cylinder. The slave cylinder activates the master on the remote unit. The master and slave on the remote unit seem to be integrated, not two separate units.

This will help also:

If you wanted to replace it and wasn't all that worried about 100% stock appearance, you could get one of the universal single diaphragm units from MP Brakes. It's similar to the original and would look right at home, just some minor differences.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 2:14pm
Thankyou.

Looks hard to find another unit the same. Even on eBay US, I see hardly anything, and then mostly not the remote variety. I guess I'd be looking in Australia or perhaps Canada.

That MP Brakes unit might be OK, I see it's a 2:1 boost. I wonder what ratio the unit on my car is.
Anyone know the boost ratio for the standard non-remote booster.... perhaps it's in the shop manual, I'll have a look tomorrow, logically mine should be the same.

I can get 2:1 remotes over here in the UK for about £150 / $200.
As you say, not that bothered about originality.

I'll also ask Reman Corporation whether they have an exchange unit.

Well, logically the hydraulic cylinders in the booster should be as shot as the rest of the system. I've had to replace the master and all four corners, but the booster goes on and on.

Ivor

Edited by 990V8 - Feb/21/2019 at 2:18pm
Shopping Trolley
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 4:31pm
I seem to recall a friend of mine once had a '54 Mercury with a remote power booster.  Probably some of the other early Ford products used one.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 2:04pm
Yes, they seem to have been quite common at one time.

Looked in the 62 and 63 TSMs today, much information about how they work, how to repair them, but nothing about the multiplication ratio.

Waiting to hear back from MP Brakes, and Past Parts in the UK.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2019 at 2:16pm
Never heard from MP.
Past Parts say no problem to refurb, so I took it out and off it went.
Considering that it may never have been off the car, was amazed how the brake unions came undone without spinning the pipes.
Well, I had soaked them in Plusgas for a few days, but even so......

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 12:45pm
Got it back, all rebuilt and shiny.
£310/$400.

A note with it saying that on receipt it was giving no boost and had significant vacuum leaks.
It worked on the car, but then the car has a 327ci vacuum pump.

Was interested in the leaks comment; I've posted a couple of times about the car suddenly developing idle problems on a long journey. I'd put that down to bad fuel as a topup of fresh fuel cured it, but twice? And when I regularly fill up my other cars from the same petrol station with no trouble?
So I'm wondering now if the idle issue was a leaking booster that only leaked when the engine bay was heatsoaked.

The boost ratio, btw, is 2:1.

Anyway, question: Never worked on a booster before that has bleed nipples. I bled the brakes today, but should I bleed the booster nipples again with the engine running or does it make no difference?

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 3:56pm
I am surprised your rebuilder didn't include bleeding instructions.  The last time I did this the booster came with a card that listed the procedure.  In any event, this should answer your questions on bleeding.  The procedure is near the end.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic