TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Relay wiring with Pertronix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 12:36am
Chris, you have me thinking there's an even less invasive way to a couple extra volts. You have the 0.6 ohm Flamethrower II coil. The Flamethrower I is 1.5 ohm. Along with the 1.5 ohm resistance wire (checked the TSM), I've got some serious resistance going. Why not just go with your coil or one with zero internal resistance? That would get it done I think...
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 1:15am
yes , you have the right idea. that is how I have mine wired, make sure you fuse the battery side.
I have my electric choke using the same circuit.
I have not had any problem , I am using an MSD dizzy and hot box.

Originally posted by 67 Marlin 67 Marlin wrote:

Have a Pertronix Ignitor I and Flamethrower coil setup that I'd like to provide 12V with a relay.

Is this the way to go?
  • Yellow coil wire to 85 instead of to the coil +
  • 86 to ground
  • 30 to battery side of the chassis-mounted starter solenoid
  • 87 out to the coil +
This way I don't mess with the resistance wire, the fuse panel, or even use the wire that goes to the starter (blue?) as the input for 85. Will this work?
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 1:25am
Unless you’re using an internal diode relay and wiring it specifally with that in mind, 85 and 86 as well as 87 and 30 can be flip flopped with no issues. It’s just a coil and a switched path.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 3:12am
I took a look at my coil and it is a Flamethrower I, part # 40011 and is 1.5 ohms resistance. My mistake on the name! As I said it worked fine with the Pertronix I. I had the 1.35 ohm resistance wire with the 1.5 ohm coil, for a total of 2.85 ohms. My understanding is that most stock systems of the day have around 3 ohms of resistance.  I have also used the same FT II coil with a set of Accel hd points and condenser with equal success. Unless you have something fairly hairy for an engine, you should be ok with what you have. Less resistance may effect point life.

Playing around with coils is a thought. I now have the old Group 19 set up, which uses a .75 ohm coil and a separate 1.5 ohm ballast resistor as well as the factory 1.35 ohm resistor wire. 3.6 ohms with the full resistance and 2.1 ohms with the ballast cut out. If my lack of ability with a multi tester is to be believed the voltage is 8.5v and 9.8v, respectively. I find it runs equally well either way, fwiw.

Hopefully some of that ramble is of value!

Chris

PS: What I did eventually about the resistance wire was to simply splice a separate wire into the harness, bypassing the resistance wire. I ran the wire inside the harness and re-wrapped it, leaving the end at the starter relay. That way I can use either.

Edited by ccowx - May/19/2018 at 3:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic