TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Recommended pulgs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended pulgs
    Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 1:43pm
Guys - Is there a consensus on the optimal spark plug for a "normal use" 195.6 OHV for my 59 Super?
Thanks!
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 3:58pm
An older thread but should give you options:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1963-classic-spark-plug-help_topic68107.html
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 4:30pm
I just realized I can't spell worth a darn.  Pulgs?  DUH!  ha ha ha!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 7:17am
I've been doing more typos lately... attribute it to old age! Fingers can be faster than the brain still, so maybe that's good??? Do it more when I'm a bit tired, but I'm blaming the feel of this cheap keyboard as part of the issue! I sometimes miss a letter on the screen when I KNOW I hit the key...

Champion plugs are okay now. I used to run nothing but Autolite or Delco plugs, as my old 196 ate Champions like candy. Then in the early 2000s Champion came out with a copper pore plug, and shortly after turned the whole line over to copper core. They last longer than the old style Champions. I first started using Copper Cores in my two stroke street bike (76 Suzuki T500J), then tried them again in the American.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 12:59pm
i'm running Autolite 216's. plug heat range stuff has changed in the last couple decades, as gasoline is so much better at burning cleanly, it basically doesn't have residue to leave that colors the plugs, to read. most plug "color" today is from oil, by the rings or through PCV.

here's the rest of my notes on plugs i've used:

spark plug
Autolite 216 Autolite: 216 is heat range 6, 437 is heat range 7. NGK B-4L/3112 is heat range 4. Denso 6013? correct one in TSM

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 6:25pm
For my AMCs, NGK. I had too many problems with cuampions... they leave a bad taste in my mouth. But what works for you is fine. For me, NGK.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 3:27pm
this is an old thread, but i've had this picture on my desktop for some time, thought i'd post it and file it.

these are three plugs that certainly work in the 195.6 OHV, and might actually be recommended.

Champion RJ18 is common. it's probably the hottest of the three, going by electrode length.

Autolite 216 is heat range 6, 437 is heat range 7 (437 hotter). i'm running 437's now.

IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 5:40pm
Thanks, Tom!  I put 437's in my 6 also.  The Champions were hard to get.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 5:54pm
LOL - asking what the best plugs are for any engine - I bet we have almost as many of those as we do oil filters, oil type, and best name for a baby boy............ 
It's a loaded question.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

LOL - asking what the best plugs are for any engine - I bet we have almost as many of those as we do oil filters, oil type, and best name for a baby boy............ 
It's a loaded question.

well, the answer, of course, is that MY religion is better than YOUR religion!

(runs far away...)

mmmmm slightly more seriously -- you are totally right, i don't mean to say one of these is better, just that for certain these fit in the hole (thread and reach) and work well enough to recommend as choices. catalogs being what they are, or possibly someone is looking for a colder or warmer plug.

i'm doing some close tuning; i needed the hotter plug. YMMV, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic