TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

recommended 5 speed gearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommended 5 speed gearing
    Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:51pm
I am considering putting a 343 in my 67 Rogue. The car has 25" rear tires, 3.15 open rear end and I would like to swap the automatic for a 5 speed manual transmission for highway cruising plus the fun of banging a few gears in town. The car currently has a 290 w/M40 auto in it. 

I have a 343 that I am in the process of tearing down to rebuild. it will have a mild cam, R4B intake, bored slightly over stock to clean up the cylinders, new pistons and a valve job with mild head work to the square port heads and pump friendly compression around 9.5/1. The car has 2 1/4 dual exhaust with factory exhaust manifolds at the moment. Im not sure I want the hassle of headers. 

So if I am going to the trouble of converting the car to a manual transmission I need some recommendations on how to proceed. What unit to use and appropriate gear ratios for my application.

The other option is to upgrade to a stronger overdrive automatic, however I still like the idea of shifting the gears so this is the less desirable option unless the costs and trouble of doing the manual set up out way the benefit. 
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 5:51am
Personally I would stick to the automatic or what I prefer to be semi-automatic. If you keep your stock ratio, a NWC T-5 with the .86 OD would put you at 2550RPM cruise. The .76 OD version would put you at 2250RPM. Both of these are a skip away from the nasty 3K cruise speed I associate with big block engine failure. The low compression weirds me out but I can tell you that you'll want at least 10:1 before small tube headers sounds like a good idea.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:04am
Here is a good start to your questions:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/t5-transmission/
You will likely need a donor car for the clutch petal and bracket.
I've done this and it is fun. Although with my 3.73 rear end the 3.27 first gear is rather annoying just as the article states.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:24am
I didn't read the article,
but with a 2.95 geared T-5 & a 25" tire I'd want to be in the 3.15-3.55 range.

If you really like a low first gear then 3.55-3.73 may be more for you.

Most people don't enjoy a first gear that's too low,
but opinions vary.
If you go with a 3.27 first gear you may even think the 3.15's you have are too low (with a 25" tire).

Either way I'd keep the 3.15's to start out and see what I like.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 10:06am
If you think that your body will be able to operate a manual trans car for the duration you own the car, GO FOR IT ! !

The White70 was born with an automatic, it now has a 93 BW T5 maual transmission.

The joy I get from driving the car with the manual was well worth all the effort involved in finding parts, rebuilding and installation.

The trans has the 3.35 1st gear and .63 overdrive with a 3.15 rear gear ratio.

It used to cruise at 70 mph with the auto and the engine screaming at over 3000 rpm.

Now in 5th gear at 70 mph the engine is running close to 2000 rpm. It made a huge difference.

Fun is fun, if you want manual trans fun and better fuel economy,  a manual rules.

Do a google search for The AMC Forum T5 or T5 in a Javelin, there's lots of info on this forum about the swap. Looking at other forums won't give you the info you need to put a T5 in an AMC like the info you'll find here..

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 10:09am
I forgot to mention that there are a huge number of parts available for the T5.

and,

Hanlon Motorsports has a video on rebuilding the trans that makes it easy peasy.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 3:19pm
Are there parts available for my NWC T-5? The ratios in this article look crazy so I assume they're for the 2WD WC version. I have a donor to work on outside of the car to make quick swaps possible. It's the 4WD version from a 1982 wagon I picked to enable a swap on my 83 Eagle and the spare is from a CJ. Ratios are 4.03, 2.37, 1.5, 1, .76 for both.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 3:46pm
I have a 70 Rebel running a stock down to the air pump 390, T5 Z, 235 60 15 tires, 3:54 rear gears. The T5 Z has a 2.95 first, .63 5th.

On the hills here in southwestern Pennsylvania the 2.95 first gear is excellent. Super easy to get moving on a hill without lots of clutch slipping like it took with the 2.20 first gear T10 I used to run. When I've been to flat areas of the country, like Ohio, sometimes the low first gear seems a little too deep. Not to the point where it is bothersome though. The .63 5th is great with the 3:54's, it is so easy to run with the traffic on the highways without the engine screaming like in the 4 speed days.

With your combination the T5 Z gear ratios might be just right for you.

The nice thing about the T5 swap is how many of the factory parts you can use to do it. 4 speed driveshaft works with a yoke swap, speedo cable works, clutch linkage works, it fits under the floor without lopping the top off the tunnel.

Do the swap, you'll love it. It is the single best modification I have ever made to a car.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 10:42am
Just be careful of too low of a 5th gear. In My particular case 1980 rpm is 70 mph. My car pinged when accelerating up a steep enough hill so I had to modify My advance curve to avoid down-shifting. I now live in the hills of N.E.   P.A. and the .65 O/D is almost useless.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by BDCVG BDCVG wrote:

Just be careful of too low of a 5th gear. In My particular case 1980 rpm is 70 mph. My car pinged when accelerating up a steep enough hill so I had to modify My advance curve to avoid down-shifting. I now live in the hills of N.E.   P.A. and the .65 O/D is almost useless.

That's one reason I went with a 6 speed. 5th is 0.80 and 6th is 0.63. Most of my driving is on secondary roads at slower speeds, so use 5th more than 6th.

For a 5 speed with overdrive, the Richmond Super Street has nice ratios to work with a 3.15 rear gear, with less drop from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th ... but not a low-cost option, so the T5 is far more popular. Match your rear gear/tire diameter/cam range and T5 should be fine.
Richmond Super Street Chevy version - works with Quicktime RM-8075 bell
1st - 2.89
2nd - 1.85
3rd - 1.31
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.77
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic