TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rebuilt regulators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 9:17am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

...but will likely have someone else make the boards if I end up doing enough of these. 
It takes a lot of time to make the board, drill the holes, etc.
  I have been using ExpressPCB at work for over a decade. Good service and good quality boards. It's very suited for the boards you are producing. The downside is, the artwork is proprietary, so you are stuck to them forever. However, CAD software that produces Gerbers ain't cheap.

---edit---

Another option is to cut the traces out of a piece of copper clad using a square shouldered milling bit in a drill press. Lock the height of bit so that it just removes the copper and move the sheet around on the drill table. Crude, but effective. You can clean up the edges with an exacto or scalpel. It won't be pretty, but if you're potting the assembly, it won't show.

Edited by bigbad69 - Dec/31/2017 at 12:54pm
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 6:15pm
Hmmmm,, you mean this?

This is what I used - it's pretty nice but it doesn't have all of the "case types" for transistors, and it's not simple to add something like the TO-3 (well, maybe it is and I just haven't figured it out!!)
It's been handy and helped me when I moved things around as it keeps connections and so on. 

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 8:28am
They have done a major release on their software and may have dropped some of the old footprints that "nobody" uses. Smile. I have the "classic" version of the software at work and confirmed there is a TO-3 in the library. PM me the footprints you are missing and I'll try to remember how to put a custom library together. It was -27 Dead when I got up this morning, so indoor projects are very appealing today.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 9:20am
HAHAHAHA - I had to laugh (what else do you do when the thermostat on the wall says the outside temp is "too daXXXX cold to care" - I used Google convert and it translated to -20) - you said "that nobody uses" - I guess I'm nobody!

I tried to add that TO-3 but it looked as if I had to draw it out myself and I just didn't feel in the mood to get the datasheet out and copy in all the specs and draw. I'm no artist, that's for sure......... Mom was and my little brother is, I guess that skipped me.

My diode and transistor stash started out with a box of military surplus stuff from the early 1960s. I think some of them even have date codes roughly 1964 or so. I added a few up through my teen years but then got into other things and that interest waned........... until the last few years.
I have a few early timer chips (you know, the 555) and other ICs I bought back in the 1970s and some early metal film resistors (before the 2% and better tolerances became common)

TO-3
TO-18
TO-39
TO-52
Found TO-220 under "package" - I suppose because it could be transistor, SCR and other things so used that for my other circuit.

Thanks.

There are likely others - things I have from way back that aren't in this, but those aren't really important right now.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 10:55pm
I imported the TO-3 just to see how simple it was (and it was SIMPLE) and to see how accurate my drawing was without that part template. WOW, I was super close on the screen. The outline went over where I had manually laid things out and one hole was off just a tad, which makes sense as on the board I did tweak it about .030" or so. 
These will make it a whole lot easier to lay out better boards - and to do the next version I haven't finished bread-boarding yet. 
Thanks.

Anyway, here's what I hope to test tomorrow if I get time - all parts on board basically how they would be in the end save for the transistor which I hope to do like Motorola did, and my board will lend itself very well to their design or layout.
But for now it's mounted on the PC board using metal stand-offs to hold it above some other components and make things fit, and hold it solid. 
I found myself getting so picky that I was actually lining up the resistors so the tolerance band was always on the right end with the board leads facing me......... geesh, what does it matter?
And the transistor had to sit perfectly straight, a line through the screws perfectly parallel with the edge of the board. Good grief, once it's done who will ever see it - just get it done!!
Ha, the other two transistors are mounted so they are the exact same height off the board and in a perfect line. I guess this could be a show regulator for AMO?
Naw I'd be docked for a scratch on one of the resistor stripes. 

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 12:32pm
Bench testing. The whole thing stayed cool but it's still cold in the shop, it hasn't warmed above 60 yet and only ran it for about 5 minutes.
Will do again later in a warmer shop and let it run a whole lot longer.
So far the only part to get really warm to the touch was the resistor that feeds the field excitation before it starts charging (engine off, key on)
There is no flow through this while it's running, only with key on and engine off, but that's the same wattage as used by Motorola and the third party replacements. 

The board would easily fit an original Motorola shell.......... more testing, and will test with it potted in a shell, but so far success with version or circuit type 1.
(On to type 2 soon)

Switch on, alternator not turning (same as key on, engine not running) the light is on as it should be and the field is being excited.

Alternator spinning at about 3400 RPM, charging, light completely out (no glow).
Charging and regulating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic