TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rebuilt M12  changing quick and not kicking down
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebuilt M12 changing quick and not kicking down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 3:42am
There is a fairly lengthy thread above on the vacuum modulator:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/bw-m11b-vacuum-modulator-availability_topic74574.html

I'm guessing that so long as the pressure is adjusted once it's installed, that it should be ok. I was going to post up the 71 pressure settings for you, will see how I go tonight.

It's possible that if the transmission came from a column shift car, that it will have a forced 2-3 upshift around 5000 rpm, a floor shift car will allow you to hold 2nd to higher RPM. At least that is my limited experience in fiddling with the valve bodies and I may not have been dealing with factory correct parts, but I'm sure I did also read this somewhere.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 2:03pm
To my knowledge all the V8 Shift Commands will do an automatic 2 to 3 upshift at 5000 rpm or so, even if the selector lever is left in "2". However the down side is that the tranny will drop back to second as soon as the rpms drop back. This is very hard on the front band.

As far as the vacuum modulator and the corresponding rod length goes, I can't give you an answer. I can say though if you can adjust the modulator you have currently installed to get the shift points in the normal range then you should be OK. If not, you may need to put the original modulator and rod back assuming the modulator is good. If you were sucking tranny fluid through the modulator into the engines intake manifold then it was bad.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

To my knowledge all the V8 Shift Commands will do an automatic 2 to 3 upshift at 5000 rpm or so, even if the selector lever is left in "2". However the down side is that the tranny will drop back to second as soon as the rpms drop back. This is very hard on the front band. 

I'm just going on experience, when I built my M-11B (it would have come out of a column shift car), I read something about the forced up-shift with with column shift cars, so used the valve body out of my old floor shift M-11 (69 Javelin 343), in this configuration I could hold second gear to maybe 6000 rpm (din't think it ever did  forced upshift. I then read something about the 11B having some updates to improve shift firmness so I went through both valve bodies and the only significant differences I could find was a heavier main pressure relief spring and a different spring on the 2-3 shift valve. The 11B valve body had some water damage, so I put both springs into the M11 valve body and it now does a forced 2-3 shift around 5000 rpm even if you are holding 2nd gear

Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 10:34pm
Thanks for all your help guys !!!

My Hornet went back to the Mechanic this week and your tips were passed on regarding the Tranny.

The word is it's now stretching its legs through the gears before changing up and I am getting kick down .

Motor was in for it's first service after rebuild, so cant wait to get it back and give it some "Proper" driving !!

Regards
Craig
Craigie.........

1968 Dodge Charger "Bullitt" tribute
1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 10:37pm
Craigie.........

1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 10:45pm
Good to hear! Nothing more pleasant than a good running, shifting drivetrain...nothing more disappointing and worrisome when it's just rebuilt and still not right.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 2:59am
Had a list of things for the mechanic (my cousin Mark) to run through and sort out, including lights/wiring, door locks and some fluid leaking from the Tranny. Most of it is all sorted except for the leak.

Was not sure what to make of fluid leaking from the freshly rebuilt tranny when it did not leak before the rebuild ?? Didn't start dropping fluid until the last 6-8 weeks. The first few weeks of driving around were issue free after the rebuild.
Mark has taken a close look and seems to think on a cold start up, there is a puff of oil coming out of both the breather and dip stick tube. The tranny fluid level has been checked and is not overfilled.
Obviously tranny fluid spilling into the engine bay is not ideal so any solutions would be most welcome ?? At the moment we are not sure how to tackle the problem.

Regards

Craigie.........

1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Craigie Craigie wrote:

Had a list of things for the mechanic (my cousin Mark) to run through and sort out, including lights/wiring, door locks and some fluid leaking from the Tranny. Most of it is all sorted except for the leak.

Was not sure what to make of fluid leaking from the freshly rebuilt tranny when it did not leak before the rebuild ?? Didn't start dropping fluid until the last 6-8 weeks. The first few weeks of driving around were issue free after the rebuild.
Mark has taken a close look and seems to think on a cold start up, there is a puff of oil coming out of both the breather and dip stick tube. The tranny fluid level has been checked and is not overfilled.
Obviously tranny fluid spilling into the engine bay is not ideal so any solutions would be most welcome ?? At the moment we are not sure how to tackle the problem.

Regards

Craigie, what size tires are on your SC/360? It looks just like mine, except I have blackwall tires. I hope you get everything sorted out on your car. You have had the worst luck of anybody so far. 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 5:36pm
Craigie,
Make sure you have the right dipstick! It could have gotten swapped over the years.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 7:19pm
From your description it sounds very much like your transmission is over filled. You may very well not have the right dipstick. The oil level should not be so high that you're expelling oil or oil mist out of the trans. vent or the dipstick tube. I cannot speak with certainty about this but on my both my 69 AMXs, the one I bought new and one I bought when it was 5 years old, had 343 stamped into the metal handle of the transmission dipstick. I understand that there never was a dipstick that was stamped 390 or 401. Are there any markings on your dipstick or do you know of anyone that has the proper "343" dipstick that you can compare to yours for the overall length and the position of the level markings? For now I'm going to assume that all the AMC M-11 and M-12 transmissions used the same dipstick until they were phased out at the end of the 1972 model year.
I just check the dipstick of my 67 Ambassador with the 343, 4V and the M-11. It too has 343 stamped into the dipstick handle.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic