TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebuild power steering pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 4:53pm
I ordered a Powercraft 7168 pump repair kit from my local Advance Auto. Not sure if they have those in Hawaii. The same style of pump was used on 60's Fords, so that may be another place to look.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 5:43pm
The Napa # is 7-153. The same kit seems to be for both the Eaton and Saginaw, as I had some seals left over when I finished with my Eaton rebuild. I guess it's cheaper for them to throw in a few extra seals rather than inventory two different kits.

That's still a good Napa number.  I ordered one just a few weeks ago, though the local store didn't stock it and it took four or five days to get.

If you damage the main seal when installing it (very easy to do) you can get another from O'Reiillys for about $5 or $6.  The O'Reilly's one is easier to install as the rubber is more pliable, but the metal shell is thinner so you have to be careful not to bend it when you hammer it in.  I went into some detail about this on a thread a couple  months back, and I think the O'Reilly's part number is there too:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/eaton-power-steering-pump-rebuild_topic62972.html

Edited by CamJam - Oct/28/2014 at 5:58pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Kapptaink View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kapptaink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 8:01am
I just checked NAPAs site and it came right up in the search engine.
PrevOwned:73HornetX 360/a727 Blk/Blk-69Javelin/R/R-69AMXBlk/W-69JavelinPrimer
Kirk
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 1:19pm
That's funny. I checked it the other day and it came up then yesterday it didn't seem to exist. That's why I started the thread. I guess I'm just not searching for it correctly. Thanks.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 1:23pm
Here's a question though:   If I install a Saginaw pump and brackets I have instead, will the pulley line up same as the Eaton? And is there a difference in performance between the two?

I suppose I could just mock it up to check. I just haven't cleaned all of the parts yet and didn't want the get the grease and oily grime all over everything. I really like the look of the Eaton reservoir though.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 4:43pm
So I'm hearing the pulley will be close enough not to be an issue. I think I'll just install the good Saginaw I have for now since I need to get this car moving as soon as possible, and I'll rebuild the Eaton pump later. I'll let you all know how it goes. Now I have to find all of those bolts for the brackets. They're in one of about 20 coffee cans in the shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic