TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebuild done. Adjusting valves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild done. Adjusting valves
    Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 2:51pm
Many thanks to everyone that has helped me here on this forum. Took me 14 months to rebuild my '59. Got it started yesterday and broke it in for 20 minutes and have had it around the block a few times. Still needs to be fine tuned.

I adjusted the valves while cold, to get it running, but manual says to adjust valves while hot and running. Does that mean to loosen until the "clacking" starts and then tighten them 1/2 turn or what do you recommend? They are pretty sensitive. Tightening them 1/2 turn will probably leave no gap at all.

Edited by Guitar Nigel - Mar/07/2017 at 8:46pm
If you don't take a chance, you never had a chance!
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 5:16pm
I assume you've got the 196 OHV.

You use the same feeler gauges I guess you used to adjust them cold.

Running hot,  .012 intakes, and .015 exhaust.
The valve lay out is IEEIIEEIIEEI
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 7:37pm
It is much easier with the long feeler gauges with an angle at the end.  I thin open end tappet wrench helps too.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Guitar Nigel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 8:49pm
That is what I was afraid of. Does not look easy but hopefully the rocker arms will not be traveling up and down much.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 11:01pm
on the OHV adjusting the valves is easy -- 20 minutes drive in, drive out. the flathead, which i've never done, sounds dreadful, down there low on the block, burning your knuckles on the exhaust pipe, etc.

luckily, you only have to do it once, generally. i check mine annually (the OHV) but in checking i never end up turning them an eight-turn. that first time though, yeah, you need to do it hot.

a little loose won;'t do harm, but tight will burn valves in rapid order.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2017 at 6:31am
The valves should be adjusted/checked every 8K according to the TSM (IIRC), but I did it every other year when I drove a 196 OHV as a daily driver. Averaged 6-7K a year, so 12-14K is good.

The rockers are moving, but once you get a wrench on the adjusting nut it's not hard to keep it there, and you don't have to turn much. If you add 0.003 to the exhaust and 0.002 to the intake measurement you will be very close to correct once the engine warms up fully. Getting the feeler gauge in around the carb is the toughest thing to do! Not so bad with the little 1909 Holley, but the other carbs used (1V and 2V) are bigger and harder to get around.

It should sound like a well oiled sewing machine with the valve cover off and hood up. Should be barely able to hear it clicking at idle with hood closed from inside the car, and not at all while driving. If you don't hear a thing at idle hey are probably a little tight.  If too loose you could lose a pushrod, but you will hear it long before that happens! As TomJ says, will burn valves in short order if too tight...
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 12:55pm
While I have not had a 195 Cu In AMC engine I have had a number of engines with solid lifters and adjusting them cold with about .03 added to the specification got them pretty much where they needed to be hot. And again to go along with the rest, if you can hear the clack a teeny bit you won't burn them out.
As a matter of interests the last solid lifter engine I had was a 16 valve Mitsubishi overhead cam engine and at 270,000 miles it was 260,000 miles overdo for it's first valve adjustment.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 1:12pm
I think the last time I did that job I blocked off the oil upstairs so it wouldn't spray all over everything.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 8:29pm
The 196 doesn't spray oil everywhere. The rockers are oiled through the shaft, just runs down a hole. 
Frank Swygert
Guitar Nigel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 10:29am
Thanks. Adjusting them while hot and running was not as hard or as messy as I thought it would be. The lifters actually did not move that fast. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic