TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rearend Noises

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 1:16pm
Carrier bearings also don't last forever, especially if it has ever been run low on oil. I had an AMC20 making noise and new bearings fixed that. They didn't fix the occasional drip coming from the pinion seal.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 12:28am
Well I finally had a day off and I found the source of the noise. The cross shaft retaining bolt backed out causing the cross shaft to try to slide out and hit against the end of the pinion gear as the carrier spun around taking out the very ends of the pinion teeth and wearing into the end surface of the gear. I guess after 48 years it finally couldn't hold on any longer. This is a new one for me. The cross shaft ends are all chewed to bits. There's a nice collection of metal chunks in my drip pan and still in the housing as well. The carrier bearings are making a nice grinding/popping sound too and the pinion bearing feels pretty rough as well.

I could probably rebuild the old girl. I have a posi carrier in a CJ rearend I could rebuild with new clutches and steels maybe. It's a 4:11 gear which is way to low for this setup so I'll need a new ring and pinion too. I might could clean up the ends of the pinion teeth and get away with reusing these gears, but I don't know. The ring gear looks fine. It is a little worn I suppose, but doesn't look beat up from the metal chunks.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic