TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Wheels won't roll in reverse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alahick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Wheels won't roll in reverse
    Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 6:41pm
Did some work on a 1964 Rambler Ambassador.  Had the rear end out from under the car, transmission completely out.  Put everything back and only one problem (so far).  The rear wheels can be turned forward by hand, will not move in the reverse direction.  Have not started the car for fear of another problem.  When trying to turn the wheels, tried all gears, even park.  When I took the rear wheel out, left the torque tube intact with the rear axle.  Just disconnected at the extension housing, but did pull the drive shaft out some while moving everything around.  Another note, both rear wheels turn together forward.  Any suggestions?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 7:03am
Sounds like it's a limited slip axle, and it appears to be locked.  I'd start it then drive forward and make some sharp turns, both left and right. That should unlock the limited slip. THEN try reverse. 

Nothing in the torque tube can keep the rear axle from turning in reverse. If you pulled the shaft from the tube you may not have got the splines back in at the rear, but then the tube wouldn't pull up at the front. Maybe you have it bound in? You will have to disconnect everything and pull the tube back from the trans, then take it loose from the rear axle housing to check. Push the shaft in the tube as far as it will go (it only come out from the front) then line the coupler up at the axle and reinstall.

Did you take the brake lines loose, especially the park brake cables? If not you may have stretched those back and one could be stuck in the cable housing, causing the brakes to drag. But if it will turn forward that brakes shouldn't be an issue.
Frank Swygert
Alahick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alahick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 11:14am
Thanks for the response.  Think I will take loose and check before driving.  Everything went back together very well and did try to turn the drive shaft by hand and the wheels wanted to move but  will check again.  May have done something wrong by taking a coffee break (which I do many as I get older).    Raining in St Louis today will try next week end.  Don't have a garage to work in.  Will reply and let everyone know what happens.  In other words what I screwed up.  Thanks again.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 12:57pm
You should get with RebelRay who also lives in St. Louis and has no garage altho I think he did put up one of those temporary shelters. He's working on a '65 Classic that has the torque tube driveline.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Alahick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alahick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 11:46am
Thanks, will do.
Alahick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alahick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2015 at 4:41pm
Finally got the car (mostly) back together.  Took the rear end off and checked everything again.  All was good.  Put everything back together and filled the fluid in the transmission and started car up and let run for about 5 minutes.  When I turned everything off, found the rear wheels moved in both directions as they should.  Thanks to farna for your help.  Should have the car on the road if this coming week end works out right.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic