TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear wheel wobble...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear wheel wobble...
    Posted: May/28/2019 at 12:44pm
So, I had my 71' AMX out all weekend, and it ran great. But, at a stop light someone pulled up next to me and said my passenger side rear wheel was wobbling. I didn't feel anything while driving the car. Slight vibration under heavy braking. I re torqued the lug nuts, didn't notice anything out of sorts. What could I be missing?

Jake
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 12:47pm
Bent wheel?  Otherwise Id be looking at the hub, and the axle.....makes me wonder if the hub is loose or starting to spin? Or possibly a broken belt in the tire?
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 12:59pm
Running 15x8 Mini lite wheels with fairly new BFG radial TA tires. I did do one burn out in the driveway a few weeks ago, and the passenger side rear tire, she was a smoking! Might have started to spin the hub?  
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 1:00pm
If it was an issue with the hub, or axle wouldn't I feel that at speed?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 1:19pm
It wouldnt hurt to check, and retorque if it has not been done for some time. Even when not hard on the axles, one will loosen eventually. When i took my axles apart, one was loose enough to use my hand tools to remove, while the other was removed with a press.

Also it wouldnt hurt to take your wheel in and have it checked for balance. Throwing a weight will cause wheel wobble, and depending on how bad on out of balance, won't be noticable until at highway speeds.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 1:22pm
Put the rear up on jack stands and with the car running in low or 1st gear watch the wheel for wobble.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 2:22pm
Raise back of car so tire is a few inches above the ground. Put a "pointer" close to the surface of the suspect wheel near the rim bead, with trans in neutral slowly rotate wheel by hand, making sure you push on the wheel toward the center of the car to eliminate axle play. If distance between the pointer and the wheel face (bead)  by the tire varies much you either have a bent wheel, a bent or untrue hub or bent axle.
Remove the wheel and check for lumps of something between the wheel and the hub.
do the same thing against the hub with the pointer. if that varies you've begun to narrow it down.

good luck
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 6:58pm
Block the front wheels, jack it up, start it up, put it in drive, and see if it wobbles.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 7:30pm
oh it’s wobbles alright. Both sides! But, I figured out why.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 7:36pm
Blast! Them wee fasteners... I thought it might have been the weights on the drums, but not all drums have them. Though most wheels will clear the drum weights. You dont need the fasteners, or you can counter sink the holes and use a proper screw head if needed.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic