TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Sway Bar - 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Sway Bar - 70 Javelin
    Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 9:26am
I have a 70 Jav with Ford 9" and would like to find a rear sway bar. does anyone know if a sway bar from a 70 or so Mustang will fit? I know it will work with the axle but unsure of body dimensions but i'm guessing there may be a way to make it fit...or vice versa...are there any rear bars avail for the Jav and then I could adapt to the 9"

Really want to make this thing handle the best it can.
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 10:14am
A rear bar for a 70 javelin should be easy to install on a 9 inch. You will need to install a front br that works with the new rear bar.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 11:46am
To make it handle "the best that it can" will take more than just a rear bar ... but if wanting to be able to tune the rear bar, best to start with something available from e.g. a stock car parts supplier where they have lots of bar and link options then mount it to suit, rather than using an OEM-style part ... and fit higher rate lowering springs, a panhard, better shocks, tires, brakes and upgrade the front to match.

For inspiration, here's how Penske mounted the rear bar on the '71 TA car:

And the adjustable Panhard (with a full-floating AMC20):

And front bar:

Hope this helps,RD.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 12:31pm
If you want the car to handle the best it can, you'll need to discard all the original suspension and build one similar to a modern day Trans Am car.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

To make it handle "the best that it can" will take more than just a rear bar ... but if wanting to be able to tune the rear bar, best to start with something available from e.g. a stock car parts supplier where they have lots of bar and link options then mount it to suit, rather than using an OEM-style part ... and fit higher rate lowering springs, a panhard, better shocks, tires, brakes and upgrade the front to match.

hope this helps,RD.

Yeah I guess I should have said using std stuff making it handle better than without....not going crazy :-)

So retract "Best that it can" and say better than current :-)
Dave Goodwin

dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 2:06pm
Found some pn's so if anyone is looking. 68-70 AMX / Javelin

ADDCO

Front #866 1 1/8"
Rear #915 3/4"

Dave Goodwin

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 4:36pm
I've got both those bars, they will reduce body roll considerably versus a 7/8 front bar and no rear bar.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
hffej View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 7:32pm
What kind of improvement with just the bigger front bar and no rear bar?
69 BBB AMX   69 BBO Javelin

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2016 at 5:58am
There will be a noticeable improvement with just the front bar. The rear bar doesn't do as much, but a bar back there helps a bit.  Hard to quantify. Won't hurt to get the larger front first, install rear later.
Frank Swygert
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2016 at 11:23am
I think 343sharpstick went through a similar install a few years ago. I would search his thread on his build as a start.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic